Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Contract Fantasy Football - Year IV: post #53, Need one new owner!

Posted: May 21, 2008, 3:37 AM Post
I think I'm going to add a rule that you can offer free agents 1 year / $0 contracts, both in season and during the offseason free agency period. You're at the bottom of the barrel in talent, but at least you have a way to fill your roster if your cap is maxed.

Another issue that came to mind is trading draft picks. I'm not sure either way what would be better...

Also, for the private, in-season bids, I shouldn't be able to see them either, but the best I can think of is just taking emails with "Free Agent Bid" in the subject and not open them until the end of the week. Is there any better way?

Posted: May 22, 2008, 2:39 PM Post
Another idea with payouts might be to set the money per win so that as long as a team posts a winning record, they'll turn a profit. It'll nurf the winnings for the champion and playoff teams, but it might better mirror real life.

For example:
$6.25 per win
$10 per playoff game played
$15 left for the Champion

8-6, no playoffs = 8*6.25 = $50 revenue (verse $24 in the other system)
10-4, first round playoff loss = 10*6.25+1*10 = $72.50 revenue (verse $73.50)
12-2, championship = 12*6.25+2*10+15 = $110 revenue (verse $210)

So it kills the champs revenue by ~50%, and their net winnings by almost 2/3rds. More money goes to the middle teams.

I would still be leaning towards the first system presented, I suppose. I thought this could be a neat idea, and it looked great on first glance until I noticed my math was wrong. I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Posted: May 29, 2008, 2:59 PM Post
What about a league name, does someone want to help with that?

Posted: May 30, 2008, 4:13 AM Post
Sorry, I tried to stay out so other people might respond.

As for the money, I would agree with the first system you showed. The other one would make sense if we were going to be putting in a certain amount, but then only allowed to use our winnings for the following years to pay salaries. That could be kinda cool, but pretty difficult at the same time.

I have no idea for a league name...I'm not good with that kind of stuff.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: June 09, 2008, 6:27 AM Post
Sam

I am still interested in this league but I have a few additional questions.

Are you envisioning an online draft/auction or an in-person draft/auction?

Could a GM be allowed to buyout a contract at 50% of the committed salary? (eg. In your roster sample, say C Palmer sustains an injury, or is suspended, or just doesn't perform well between year 1 & year 2. Could the GM pay $17*3*50% to remove him from their team?)

Thanks
Brian

Posted: June 09, 2008, 3:34 PM Post
BMuch said:
Are you envisioning an online draft/auction or an in-person draft/auction?

Online, in a forum. Here's the guidelines I have typed up in the master rulebook:

[*]Offseason Schedule [*]
      [li]Trade forum opens during the week prior to the Free Agent Auction [*]Free Agent Auction [*]
        [li]Begins on the day of the first preseason game [*]The highest three ranked players by Yahoo.com at each position are posted for auction [*]24 hours after the last bid has been posted, the player is tentatively signed to the highest bidding team, and the next highest ranked player at that position is posted for auction [*]The former owner of the player then has 24 hours to match the bid and resign the player away from the other team [*]Owners can match the final offers to retain up to three of their own players [*]5 days prior to the start of the regular season, any and all remaining players are posted for auction [*]2 days prior to the start of the regular season, at 9:00 PM, all bids are finalized [/list] [/li] [*]Rookie Draft [*]
          [li]Two rounds [*]Begins 7 days prior to the start of the regular season [*]Draft schedule and pick deadlines will be posted [*]All rookies are signed to a 1 year / $0 contract [/list] [/li] [/list] [/li] [/list]I may tweak it yet though, and as with everything, it'll be open for debate and suggestions.

BMuch said:

Could a GM be allowed to buyout a contract at 50% of the committed salary? (eg. In your roster sample, say C Palmer sustains an injury, or is suspended, or just doesn't perform well between year 1 & year 2. Could the GM pay $17*3*50% to remove him from their team?)

As of now, no. Contracts are guaranteed, in attempts to keep it simple and make sure contracts really mean something. (Again, it would be open for debate.)

Posted: June 09, 2008, 3:36 PM Post
...And thanks for checking in again. I'm planning on gearing up a cheap forum/webpage for the league, and hopefully gather some more interest as the season draws nearer and with something more concrete. I'm sure I can draw in players from elsewhere, and at worst we just have a LL.net division, but I hope we can get a full 12 from LL/BF.

Posted: July 22, 2008, 6:22 AM Post
Any new developments with this?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: July 22, 2008, 8:58 AM Post
jazzytrav said:
Any new developments with this?

Probably by this weekend I was hoping to have a website up (or at least a forum) so I can direct anyone who's interested to sign up there.

Posted: July 26, 2008, 10:19 AM Post

Its not quite finished, but the bare bone are up and ready to go, so we can begin sign ups.

Here's the forum link: Forum Link

There's a link to the league page (Yahoo) on the top of the forum. There's also a file attached in the league rules forum of the current draft of the complete rulebook.

So, anyone interested please register over there and join the league! We have a week or two to discuss and finalize the rules before the initial league free agency begins!

And just a quick recap of what this league is all about, and some quick basic info:
  • Contract based keeper league
  • Free agents are bid on auction style during the offseason
  • Rookies are drafted
  • Entry fee will be based on your payroll (though year 1 will almost surely be free, so we can tweak the rules and make sure everything works)
  • Standard scoring, two flex positions
  • 14 week season with a 4 team playoff
  • Rather democratically run, as in all rules are open for discussion and change
  • Each rule is created both to:
    • [li]Mimic the basics of real life team management
    • Keep the league simple, straightforward, and enjoyable
    [/li]

Last edited by sbrylski on July 26, 2008, 12:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: July 26, 2008, 11:38 AM Post
Link gives me an error.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: July 26, 2008, 12:28 PM Post
jazzytrav said:
Link gives me an error.

Fixed.

Posted: July 26, 2008, 1:46 PM Post
I've never played contact league fantasy football before, If you guys don't have enough I'd be happy to join and give it my best try. I don't know if I'd be any good at it right away

Posted: July 26, 2008, 2:03 PM Post
T B0NE 10 said:
I've never played contact league fantasy football before, If you guys don't have enough I'd be happy to join and give it my best try. I don't know if I'd be any good at it right away

Me either! I've always been interested, but the options were always limited and the places you could play always came with such large rulebooks and kind of turned me off. So I'm trying to design my own.

So you're definitely welcome.

(But note - not to turn you off, but don't join just because you want to get in a league. I'm sure there will be a standard league or three starting up in the next few weeks. But if you have a legitimate interest in this concept, by all means sign up!)

Posted: July 27, 2008, 7:10 AM Post
Global Moderator
I registered for the site and posted.

Posted: July 27, 2008, 7:31 AM Post
pitchleague said:
I registered for the site and posted.

I count 6 then that have expressed interest including me, and 3 that are registered. Goal is 12.

Posted: August 01, 2008, 1:38 PM Post
LAST CALL - The league will widen its prospective search for owners on Sunday. LL.netters will relinquish their exclusive rights to team owner positions at that time.

Posted: August 09, 2008, 4:10 PM Post
We still have at least one opening...

We've had 11 people express interest, though three have yet to join. So we need at least one more person.

The official, unmovable, no matter what start date is going to be set for this Wednesday the 13th.

I'm going to ask that everyone just makes a brief post in a check in thread, to make sure everyone has received this message and we didn't lose anyone over the last week and a half.

Lastly, I'll complete and finalize a rulebook by Sunday night. Not many changes or anything, but I just want to consolidate all the discussion points and finalize the rulebook before we start, and so those who might not have been following along won't have to sift through the couple of threads.

-Sam

Posted: August 12, 2008, 3:55 PM Post
And free agency has kicked off!!!

We are at 10 teams, but have 2 people tending for a second team until we find owners to take them over. So still room for you, if you might be interested. But hurry, longer you wait the less control you have over signing players for your team!

Posted: August 15, 2008, 12:39 PM Post
Still one more team open, its not too late! I've already inked Randy Moss for you, so you are NOT behind...

(And if anyone has seen BMuch, please send him our way. Only guy yet to make an appearance since the auctions opened.)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply