Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Contract Fantasy Football - Year IV: post #53, Need one new owner!

Posted: March 05, 2008, 4:33 PM Post
LINK TO YEAR IV POST

--------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm trying to design a set of simple (<--keyword) rules for a contract based fantasy football league.  I've always wanted to run/participate in one.  In looking around online, the few leagues out there have such long complicated rule books.

I really just would like some input or suggestions for rules for now, I'm not sure where I'll use them.  Probably see if there's interest around here for it, or get a group of my friends together.

This is what I've got so far:
  • Contracts and Free Agency
    • Total salary determines the highest bid
        e.g. $10 for 3 years ($30 total) beats $12 for 2 years ($24 total)
    • 1 year / $0 contracts are allowed
    • Max length is 4 years
    • Contracts are guaranteed
        Players can be released to save a roster spot, but their salary remains on the books
    • Trading is free of penalties
        To allow some outlet to clear salary room, provided someone is willing to take on the contract
    • Retired players and their salaries are wiped from the books
    • In-season Free Agents - Private Bids
        Highest bid gets the player, signed to $1 greater than the next lowest bid:
          Team A bids $10, Team B bids $6, Team A signs for $7
  • Salary Cap
    • Yearly Cap of $100
    • Total Committed Salary Cap of $250
        Derived by: 100% of year one + 75% of year two + 50% of year three + 25% of year four
  • Roster Requirements
    • 20 player max roster size
    • 16 player min roster size
    • Starters:
        1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 DEF
    • No roster limits per position
  • Offseason Schedule
    • Open trade forum during the week prior to the Free Agent Auction
    • Free Agent Auction
        Owners can match the final offers to retain up to three of their own players
    • Rookie Draft
        Two rounds
        All rookies are signed to a 1 year / $0 contract
I think this is pretty straight forward, and covers most bases.  It places a lot of responsibility on the owners to manage their cap as there's not a lot of mercy rules for clearing salary, other than trading their high priced players for pennies on the dollar.  You need to budget for in-season free agents on your own, though roster space is given.  And the only mercy for a cap maxed cellar-dweller is a free top rookie.

Anyone see any glaring problems with that outline?  Or ways to make it more simple?

Posted: March 05, 2008, 5:33 PM Post
Can players, or more specifically rookies, be re-signed midseason? I suppose that wouldn't work well if it's based on a bidding system, but To use last season as an example, I'm just thinking if I get a guy like AP in the rookie draft, it would suck that he would be thrown into the free agent bidding after only one season.

I suppose my question makes it more difficult, which is the opposite of what you're looking for Image Either way, I would probably be interested in the future if you pull it off. For the contracts are we talking about real money? Or is this a "just for fun" thing?

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: March 05, 2008, 6:26 PM Post
Can players, or more specifically rookies, be re-signed midseason? I suppose that wouldn't work well if it's based on a bidding system, but To use last season as an example, I'm just thinking if I get a guy like AP in the rookie draft, it would suck that he would be thrown into the free agent bidding after only one season.

The way it is above, no. I think just matching their offer in free agency is more simple than a complicated extension formula and rules. More fair too. I'd love to hear any arguments against it though.

For rookies, think condensed baseball contracts. Cheap at the beginning, then it'll jump to the going rate.

For the contracts are we talking about real money? Or is this a "just for fun" thing?

I'd love to do it for real money. And to ensure owners care about the future of the team, make them pay for signings upfront. So you have money invested into future seasons, which gives you more of an incentive to avoid going for it all one year and diving the next. Probably help to keep owners around too.

Posted: March 06, 2008, 1:43 PM Post
Also, to explain why there is the second cap number, the Total Committed Cap:

Because the contract value is based on just salary*years, an owner who aggressively pursues long-term deals is going to win the bidding almost always. Sure, we'll all be laughing when his players tear their ACL's, but I don't think long-term contracts should be encouraged. A team run into the ground by bad long term contracts makes for a disinterested owner and higher owner turnover. It also makes it very hard for owners who are smart with their money to get any players at all.

So the solution was to either restrict the number of total years an owner can commit, the number of specific length contracts (e.g. 2 four year deals, 3 three year deals, ect.), or make a second cap number for total committed salary. I decided to use a Total Committed Cap because it also makes money management and bidding easier: In free agency, your bid is valued at the total you'll have to pay him, therefore your bids will be restricted by your Total Committed Cap rather than your Yearly Cap. Then after you sign the player, you can spread the money over the next four years as thin as you'd need to or as concentrated as you'd want.

I'm not sure I explained that the best, but I think you can get the idea.

Posted: March 06, 2008, 3:58 PM Post
  • Starters:
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF

Would you consider 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def, & 2 Flex positions?

For scoring purposes are you thinking about a yardage league or strictly scoring?

I am very interested. My vote is real money so that everyone takes it seriously.

Thanks

BMuch

Posted: March 06, 2008, 4:28 PM Post
Would you consider 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def, & 2 Flex positions?

I was never a fan of flex positions myself, but it would definitely be open for discussion/vote. In fact, it might be better to allow for that roster flexibility - a double bye week and an injury all at one position could mean disaster for a team with limited funds.

Speaking of injuries, I'm on the fence about some type of IR rule. I'm thinking it over. My concern is it would be abused to manipulate a team cap number. Suggestions?

Posted: March 07, 2008, 5:14 AM Post

Speaking of injuries, I'm on the fence about some type of IR rule. I'm thinking it over. My concern is it would be abused to manipulate a team cap number. Suggestions?

Perhaps you could allow teams to place a player on IR if they do it before the halfway point of the season, and then they pay half of the original salary.

In free agency, your bid is valued at the total you'll have to pay him, therefore your bids will be restricted by your Total Committed Cap rather than your Yearly Cap. Then after you sign the player, you can spread the money over the next four years as thin as you'd need to or as concentrated as you'd want.
So things like front-loading and back-loading are allowed?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: March 07, 2008, 5:38 AM Post
So things like front-loading and back-loading are allowed?

(EDIT: Sorry), incorrect. Contract offers have to be divisible by the number of years. I find it doubtful an owner submitting a two year offer will be able to compete with an owner looking for a three year deal, so years offered will actually be the more important factor over the amount you are willing to pay. Therefore, almost all competitive bids made on a player will be for the same length, and made in increments of how many years. Its fairly simple, I just can't explain it very well.

I guess the first season will be an interesting experiment.

But balanced contracts to keep it simple, and hopefully help teams stay more flexible/competitive. I don't want to see teams back-load a bunch of contracts and get run into the ground with no hope of competing for two or three seasons, or front-load in a year when they have a bunch of cheap players. Trying to promote parity a little bit, because an imbalance of savvy among the owners could create a very tiered league very quickly, and have a lot of people disinterested and dropping out.

Perhaps you could allow teams to place a player on IR if they do it before the halfway point of the season, and then they pay half of the original salary.

An IR/Trade Deadline combo might work good.

Also, for trades, we might need some type of simple waiver system in place. I think shedding contracts through lopsided trades could become relatively common, and it needs to be fair on who gets first dibs. I think anyway. Problem is it'll be tough tough to design something simple for this workaround.

Posted: March 07, 2008, 7:02 AM Post

I would think that retirements might also need to be addressed. (eg. Team A had Brett Favre on a three year deal, but now that Brett has retired, the final 2 years are voided.)

Posted: March 07, 2008, 10:06 AM Post
BMuch said:

I would think that retirements might also need to be addressed. (eg. Team A had Brett Favre on a three year deal, but now that Brett has retired, the final 2 years are voided.)

Yes, I agree with that.

Posted: May 15, 2008, 7:46 AM Post
As the summer quickly approaches, I'm thinking we move this from idea stage into really finalizing some rules and gathering interested GM's around LL.net and BF.net.

I think the underlying thoughts behind each rule should be:
  • Promote parity without compromising owner responsibility.
    • [li]Bad moves land you in the cellar fast
    • Not too difficult to go from last to .500
    • Much harder to go from .500 to Championship caliber
    [/li]
  • As simple and straightforward as possible.
  • Mirror the management of a real life NFL team.
If those make sense. That first one sounds ideal to me, but tough to get the optimal balance, especially limited by guideline #2. The last bit goes without saying.

And then, current items to address:
  • Is an injured reserve list necessary? Can we keep it simple yet prevent abuse of the rule?
  • Are trade waivers necessary?
  • Does the bidding process, contracts, and salary caps make sense? Will they be effective?

Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:18 AM Post
Is an injured reserve list necessary? Can we keep it simple yet prevent abuse of the rule?

The proposal from above was a IR deadline to save 50% of the salary, rereading the thread. Sounds pretty simple and sounds like it accomplishes the goal. I'll add it to the master list above. (But note that none of the rules are final yet.)

Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:20 AM Post
I think the injured reserve list depends a lot on how many players are allowed on each team and how many are playing each week. If there are enough bench players allowed, then there really wouldn't be a need for an IR. But if it's something like 9 starters with 2 bench players, the GM could be completely screwed with a couple injuries and a bye week.

By the way, I'm definitely interested as long as the financial thing isn't completely out of control. What are you thinking for a cap?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:25 AM Post
By the way, I'm definitely interested as long as the financial thing isn't completely out of control. What are you thinking for a cap?

Do you mean the league fictional salary cap, or real money?

Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:29 AM Post
I think the injured reserve list depends a lot on how many players are allowed on each team and how many are playing each week. If there are enough bench players allowed, then there really wouldn't be a need for an IR. But if it's something like 9 starters with 2 bench players, the GM could be completely screwed with a couple injuries and a bye week.

Because contracts are guaranteed, I was thinking of having a larger roster size (8 starters, up to 20 on your bench). You gotta pay them anyway, you should be allowed to hold on to them. (All the leagues I've been in have had 8 starters and 16 total players, so I figure teams could add 4 players without having to cut anyone during the year. Maybe that's a little too many though...)

Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:36 AM Post
If that's the case, I don't see any reason to need an IR. If you start having a lot of injuries, then you deal with it the same way real GMs do.

I guess I was asking more about the real money, but I originally thought that the fictional salary cap would be done in real dollars.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:42 AM Post
Are trade waivers necessary?

For this point, I'm thinking an official waiver system won't be necessary. My concern was owners will shed good players with large contracts to the first bidder, but as long as there's a trade block area for owners, I think people will know its always better to shop them around. At the most, I would say something like all players involved in a trade must be posted in the trade block three days prior to the trade, just to be sure everyone has a chance to go after them.

Think we'd need something like that? Or just let the market be the market?

Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:51 AM Post
I guess I was asking more about the real money, but I originally thought that the fictional salary cap would be done in real dollars.

Well, my preference was to be free to join in year one, just so we can all see how well the rules work. If we are confident in the rules, I would be for something around paying half of your contracts' value, all upfront.

So year one, you'd pay $125 if you max out your total committed cap. That sounds a bit high for an semi-casual fantasy football league, but if you consider that you're paying for some of the following seasons in that initial $100+, its not so bad. Essentially, you'll be paying an average of $50 per season at the most. Like all things, this would be open for discussion too. (We could also do paying 25% of contracts, which would be $62.50 max in year one, and a max average of $25 per year after that.)

(And, if the league were ever to fold, the money already paid out for future years would be giving back. If an owner quits, I'm leaning towards giving that money to the team that will take his place.)

Posted: May 15, 2008, 11:47 AM Post
An example of payouts then:

I was thinking something like a buck or two per regular season win, to simulate attendance revenue (more wins=more butts in the seats), and then divide the rest up amongst the playoff teams proportionally...

With owners paying 50% of their payroll, for an average of $50 per team per season, and $3 per win:

With owners paying 25% of their payroll, for a $24 average per team, and $1 per win:

Posted: May 16, 2008, 8:37 AM Post
I don't necessarily care for the trade waiver thing, either. As long as the trade is posted and everyone else can see who is making the best offer, there should be not much question of foul play.

And the price sounds reasonable. I've just had friends involved in $500-$1,000 leagues and I can't commit to something like that, but this sounds like something I can afford. Plus it seems so much more worthwhile than an ESPN or Yahoo league.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply