[ 16 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Badgers Depth Chart

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 20, 2008, 11:13 AM Post
TWO DEEP DEPTH CHART

Say what you will about Bret Bielema, but he seems to take care of the obvious more so than other coaches in all sports that I root for.

Here's to a bounce back year for the defense! They're already off to a great start by getting Hodge and Pleasant off the field.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 20, 2008, 4:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm hoping Kyle Jefferson finds his way into the other receiver spot opposite Gilreath. I don't like the idea of starting two receivers under 6' with Gilreath and Moore...Jefferson's size could create a lot of match up problems, and I think he played well enough last year to warrant a starting spot.

Hopefully the defense will be better this year...it was painful to watch at times last season.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 21, 2008, 2:53 AM Post
I agree on Jefferson. You would think he'd have done enough in game action to earn a starting spot this year. Starting two guys who may very well be in the 150s is not going to help your running game either.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 21, 2008, 3:56 PM Post
I was going to post the exact same thing as you two. Having two guys listed at 5'11", 165lbs (which in reality is probably 5'9", 155). My grandmother won Moore's jersey during his redshirt freshman year. I have it, and even though it is designed to go over pads I can barely get it on (I go 6'3", 210).

Hard to believe that Jefferson was the #1 last year when Hubbard and Swan were hurt, and now he is at #2. Bad in the short run but good in the long run that all of their top six receivers are sophomores or freshmen.

Anyone else concerned that their DL goes 230lbs, 285lbs, 265lbs, and 250lbs? I'm a bit in fear of their run defense. And didn't they have a big DT from Minnesota who wore #58 who was a pretty good recruit? I can't remember his name... what happened to him?

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 22, 2008, 5:11 AM Post
Brandon Hoey? Back problems forced him to give up football.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 24, 2008, 6:32 AM Post
Yep, that's him. Man, they need to bring in some bodies on the DL.

Tough to get much Badgers info out here in LA so any updates are appreciated.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 24, 2008, 7:39 AM Post
Assuming they all are healthy, they have a pretty good group right now: Schofield, Shaughnessy, Moore, DeCremer, Newkirk, Chapman, Stehle.

Next year, they'll have JJ Watt, a transfer from Central Michigan who one guy (Potrykus I think) said in a blog last week that he is a "steal."

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: August 31, 2008, 3:39 AM Post
DeCremer's career looks to be over - when combined with Hoey, it's really a shame.
We needed a better pass rush overall yesterday, and they got some decent runs up the gut, but playing the spread makes it problematic. We play so many spread teams now that I can only hope the D looks better overall next week.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 07, 2008, 8:15 AM Post
Assuming they all are healthy, they have a pretty good group right now: Schofield, Shaughnessy, Moore, DeCremer, Newkirk, Chapman, Stehle.

But as was demonstrated yesterday, they don't have near enough size and depth for short yardage situations. Chapman and Stehle are the only ones over 280 (Moore is listed at 280 but he looks smaller), and they got blown off the ball on the goal line stand and short yardage situations. If Chapman gets hurt, they are going to be in a world of hurt at DT.

Next year it is even worse: Schofield - 230, Moore - 280 (but a DE), Kelly - 230, Garner - 230, Butrym - 265, Westphal - 240, Nzegwu - 225, Mains - 225, Watt - 265, Stehle - 290 (but I get the feeling he's playing by default), Cascone - 285 (he must suck because he's never played), Kenny Jones - 265 (walk-on?), Konz - 300 (is he OL or DL?), Hein - 280 (walk on?), Briedis - 265, Grimes - 285. They're going to need to put on some weight or they are not going to be able to hold the point of attack against the run. And a lot of these guys are 6-5/6-6, so they are going to have a tough time getting leverage.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 07, 2008, 9:46 AM Post
Konz is most definitely a DT as of now. And the #1 Wisconsin HS kid is also destined to be a 290# or so DT next fall - he's 265+ already. Agree that we need some more bulk at DT, but the year we had Bryant (edit: my bad: Hawthorne) and jefferson was the exception, not the rule; we usually don't have two 300+ guys who can play and few schools do.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 07, 2008, 3:41 PM Post
Actually Konz is most definitely an OL.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 07, 2008, 10:54 PM Post
You might want to check the UW roster, NDOG: Konz is listed as a DL!!!

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 08, 2008, 2:49 AM Post
I don't know what roster you're looking at it, but you may want to contact them to tell them it's wrong.

http://blogs.jsonline.com...ck-to-offensive-line.aspx

On Rivals.com, you're right he's listed on the roster portion as a DL, but he's listed as backup to Andy Kemp on the depth chart portion on the same site along with Jake Current.

http://www.wisconsin.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 08, 2008, 3:10 AM Post
It's the official UW site that lists him as a DT, NDOG, but if you choose to favor the JSO over the actual school . . . . . .

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 08, 2008, 3:35 AM Post
Lites, you're just wrong on this one bud...

I guess I'll post the entire blog, instead of the link. But I guess if you want to believe a roster listing over the head coach of the football team lites...

Neenah's Konz moves back to offensive line

By Jeff Potrykus
Monday, Aug 11 2008, 10:25 PM

Madison - Peter Konz's stint on Wisconsin's defensive line is over.

Konz, a decorated two-way lineman from Neenah High School, has been moved back to the offensive line and will compete for a reserve position at guard or center.

"He was probably going to be a redshirt guy for us defensively," coach Bret Bielema said tonight, after his team's second practice of the day. "But we think he might be in a position to help us this year from an offensive line standpoint."

According to Bielema:

The 6-foot-6, 300-pound Konz will compete with fellow freshmen Kevin Zeitler, from Wisconsin Lutheran High School, and Jake Current, who graduated early and practiced with the team in the spring, for spots in the two-deep.

Those would be quotes from the head football coach.

And if you need something from the actual school? How about the depth chart?

http://www.uwbadgers.com/...ews_rel/news_rel_8854.pdf

Someone just forgot to change it on the roster, it's not too hard to figure it out.

Last edited by NDOG44 on September 08, 2008, 4:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Badgers Depth Chart

Posted: September 08, 2008, 4:48 AM Post
I concede: never rely on UW rosters for anything! Nonetheless, I don't think DT depth possibilities are as bad as you originally laid out, but a couple more stout DTs are always welcome, be it for the Badgers or the Pack.

[ 16 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply