[ 12 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Georgia Proposes 8-team Playoff

Posted: January 09, 2008, 11:56 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Georgia proposed an 8-team playoff system to the NCAA today, where the BCS Bowls would host the 8 teams, followed by a semi-final then championship game.

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany remains one of the biggest opponents, for some reason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232

Posted: January 09, 2008, 12:20 PM Post
I hate to say it, but with with Illinois and Ohio State both getting beat pretty bad, maybe he doesn't think the Big Ten can compete that well. I'm not saying it's the truth or that I really have an opinion either way, but that's maybe what he's thinking. If 2-3 Big Ten teams make it into the playoff and lose right away, the Big Ten might not get the financial benefits that the playoff system could bring. As an example, and I could be wrong on this, but Ohio State being in the NC game was more important financially than having them win it. With a playoff system he may be afraid that the Big Ten won't be able to even get a team that far.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 10, 2008, 2:28 AM Post
I know the Pac 10 is not onboard with the playoffs as well -- I'd almost hope that the SEC, Big12, ACC, and the rest would just press forward w/o the Big Ten and Pac 10, and then maybe they would fall in line.

I suspect with Delany it's about money.

Posted: January 12, 2008, 7:21 AM Post
I've heard Alvarez talk at length about this in the past. In general it was his opinion the majority people involved in college football are against a playoff format. College finals, money, practice, and opportunity were always his main talking points.

Finals - we can't have the kids away from school when they should be studying for finals
Money - The Big Ten puts the bowl money in a pot and splits it between schools, I got the impression the split wasn't exactly equal, but I don't know the details for sure.
Practice - Bowl teams gain another 5 weeks of practice over other teams in their conference, by the time a player is in their 4th season they've accumulated another year of practice which is a huge advantage
Opportunity - Half of the teams participating in bowls will end the season on a positive note.

I don't necessarily agree with any of this and would much rather see a 16 team or 32 team playoff.

Posted: January 12, 2008, 11:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
If the other divisions of football can handle a full-blown tournament, I think the FBS can handle a tiny 8 team playoff. The "studying for finals" excuse is the biggest one I have a problem with -- how many kids on National Championship-caliber programs are actually going to class? It has to be a smaller percentage than the amount of kids at the FCS level, and no one seems to have a problem with it there. If the FCS teams can make arrangements to accommodate class schedules, you would think the FBS teams would be able to as well. The longer this goes it, the more clear it is that the FBS doesn't want to change because "this is the way it's always been" and so many conferences play up the tradition card. They don't realize that as much money they make with the current system, they'd make even more if they went to a playoff...ratings would be absolutely huge for something like that.

One thing I never understood is why it seems to be a black and white issue -- why couldn't they have the 8-team playoff, and still hold the "smaller" bowls for teams that don't make it? What would the harm be in that, as long as you're not increasing the amount of bowls?

Posted: January 13, 2008, 7:05 AM Post
When I was in college I seem to remember the semester being over say, December 15th...and I didn't go back until say, January 20th. Finals? Give me a break.

But the notion that football players don't go to class is a silly stereotype.

Posted: January 13, 2008, 5:49 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
But the notion that football players don't go to class is a silly stereotype.

Unfortunately it does get reinforced each semester, whether it's fair to use a small percentage of student-athletes (not just FB players) as 'the rule' or not. There are many things 'ordinary' students witness, including but not limited to: sleeping, texting/cell phone use, talking w/each other the entire time, showing up late &/or leaving early, reading the newspaper/mags/other stuff...

I know that's all stuff non-athlete students do too. I know, for one, that my roommate had some classes with the now-junior men's Badger hoops guys that got declared ineligible a couple years back - and let me tell you, he wasn't shocked one bit. Nor was I, as he took to telling me whether they were in class or not (you can guess which occurred the vast majority of the time that semester).

Fwiw, that ex-roommate of mine was himself a D1A basketball player (but transferred to UW for the academics), and I know him well enough to know that what he relayed to me was fact. Obviously an account like this looks incredibly suspicious when read second-hand over the internet, so take what you will from it.

It's kind of like the Rasheed Wallace factor - in that 'Sheed (& guys with tempers/reps like him) will definitely get fouls/techs/flags they didn't deserve. A few bad apples can ruin the perception of the eniter bushel. It sucks, but you can understand how the 'Athletes Skip Class' stereotype is still alive & well.

(I've had classes with UW student-athletes before, and the only ones that exhibited any of the negative characteristics were football players... small sample alert! Image )

"Thank you, Senator... a thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" -- Moderator Morbo

Posted: January 13, 2008, 6:10 PM Post
I had many classes with athletes...they do go to school. Sure, there are indeed exceptions. But for the most part they have more people looking out for the academic well being than guys like me did.

Posted: January 14, 2008, 6:22 AM Post
Money - The Big Ten puts the bowl money in a pot and splits it between schools, I got the impression the split wasn't exactly equal, but I don't know the details for sure.

The Big Ten splits the money that teams win in the NCAA tourney as well I believe.

Opportunity - Half of the teams participating in bowls will end the season on a positive note.

The only teams in NCAA hoops that will end their season on a win, are the NCAA winner, the NIT winner, and perhaps a couple of teams from the Ivy League, or another conference that doesn't have a conference tourney.

Posted: January 14, 2008, 6:29 AM Post
When I was in college I seem to remember the semester being over say, December 15th...and I didn't go back until say, January 20th. Finals? Give me a break.
I agree. We usually got about 6 weeks of break between the semesters. We would leave in the middle of December and usually come back around the beginning of February. I know not all schools are like this, but if you time it out right all of the players should be able to take their finals, play a playoff of up to 3 games, and have plenty of time to relax before spring semester.

I think that's just an excuse that conferences like the Big Ten use because they don't want the playoff and they want to appeal to people's emotions about academics.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 14, 2008, 5:55 PM Post
About the only way that a playoff would work and still maintain the integrity of the bowl season is this way:

1) Cut back to a limit of 11 regular season games (3 non-conference, 8 conference). All games must be before Thanksgiving. (i.e. none of this USC/UCLA on December 1st crap.)

2) Top 8 teams play weekend after Thanksgiving (to avoid finals) in first round of playoffs. Teams are seeded with seeds 1-4 having home games played at home stadium (thus fans can still have money to travel to a bowl game; that's one of the big issues - how much revenue will a city hosting a bowl lose if fans go to an earlier playoff game instead of a later bowl game).

3) The four losers of that round play in two of the BCS bowls. The four winners play in the other two BCS bowl games. That = round two of the playoffs. All of these games are on January 1st.

4) Winners play in the national championship game about a week later.

The only concern in that scenario will be how many fans will travel to the BCS bowl games that the winners of the first round. Some fans may "hold out" hoping that their team makes the national championship, thus decreasing attendance and revenue to those host cities. But they will make up for it by hosting two bowl games, one being the national championship, every four years, thus bringing in a BOATLOAD of money every four years.

Posted: January 15, 2008, 3:28 AM Post
The bowl system has no integrity Image

This is ALL about money. The college presidents have been against a playoff for years and now that a college president from a potential pre season #1 in 2008 has come out in favor, it might get some steam.

[ 12 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply