Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ikegwuonu Declares for NFL Draft

Posted: February 26, 2008, 9:06 AM Post
Your sentence didn't make grammatical sense so I didn't know what you were trying to say. I just thought it was funny that you followed it with "does that make sense?"

Haha. I really got stop typing in the middle of sentences when I have work to get done and then come back to it. That didn't make sense at all. It should've been...

My point is that if a team won't take a shot on him this year late in the draft and IR him for possible future talent why will they draft him next year. Does that make sense?

Posted: February 26, 2008, 3:24 PM Post
So before the injury did Ikegwuono run something like a 4.1 40? I ask because if you remember he chased down Darren McFadden from behind in a play that pretty much got the Badgers a win. Measurables in the combine are great, but they don't wipe out 3-4 years of play on the field.

Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:03 PM Post
Measurables in the combine are even better after a player comes back from a significant injury and proves that he still could run down McFadden if he had to.

That injury may have wiped out that play in the minds of scouts because no one knows how he'll recover from the injury. A good combine next year could show that his measurables are at least close to what they were before the injury.

Measurables in the combine are great, but they don't wipe out 3-4 years of play on the field.

Based on this argument, he should get drafted. Now there are people saying that he might not get drafted. That's the reason for this discussion.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:56 PM Post
I'm saying that the combine numbers are great, but they aren't the most important barometer in player evaluations. Of course Ike doesn't run a 4.1 40...but he's damn fast, or he plays fast, and on that day, he ran down a guy that just ran a 4.3 40.

Another example is Brian Calhoun, what the heck did he run at the combine, it wasn't good IIRC. But I remember him being the fastest player on the field against Auburn in another Bowl game.

Ike needs to come back from his injury obviously, and he may not get drafted because of the injury. But proving it in a combine setting? Why couldn't he prove it by practicing with a team or sticking with a team on the PUP List or IR and rehabbing under that team's trainers and doctors? After the combine is over, my guess is none of these players will ever run a timed 40 again, or at the very least a meaningful timed 40.

I think he gets drafted in the 6th or 7th round myself.

Posted: February 27, 2008, 6:11 AM Post
I agree that he'll probably get drafted in the 6th or 7th, and I really hope the Packers will take a shot on him...especially since we have a year or two before really needing someone to step in. I also agree that the combine isn't the most important thing. I'm only talking about what he would do if he wanted to get drafted higher next year as opposed to signing as an undrafted free agent this year (if he's not drafted).

As for Calhoun, he played very fast when he was surrounded by college-level talent. I understand your point, but I don't think Calhoun is the best example.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: February 27, 2008, 8:00 AM Post
I don't mean to argue this any further, but Calhoun was running circles around an SEC team that day, college level talent, sure, but a team that was supposed to be very fast.

Posted: March 04, 2008, 9:33 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
As for Calhoun, he played very fast when he was surrounded by college-level talent. I understand your point, but I don't think Calhoun is the best example

But there were NFL players on that field... they just happened to be a year younger. It's too convenient to dismiss it so callously.

"Thank you, Senator... a thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" -- Moderator Morbo

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply