Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ikegwuonu Declares for NFL Draft

Posted: January 27, 2008, 5:11 AM Post
I think he'd probably just be IRed.

Posted: January 27, 2008, 6:34 AM Post
Thanks for the contract info Peavey. (On a side note, what is the best source for contract info? Can we be like bf.net and have a contract page?) My guess is that the signing bonus isn't quite $200K (probably $50-100K; I think 2nd round picks get somewhere around a $500K signing bonus, so I don't think a 7th is going to get $200K), so with non-guaranteed contracts a four-year deal isn't much of a risk. In fact, if I were a late round pick, I might prefer a shorter non-guaranteed contract (3 years) so I could get the big money quicker if I performed well.

Posted: January 28, 2008, 12:47 PM Post
Wynn's signing bonus was for $50,907.

Posted: January 29, 2008, 8:39 AM Post
The Packers are a team that could certainly grab Ike on day 2 and stash him on the IR for a year. We don't have an 'immediate' need for him at CB, so it'd be a low risk, high reward pick.

I think there are a lot of teams though that could take him and stash him on IR if he's around in the 6th or 7th round. There aren't too many need picks made there. He'd still have some value to most teams late in the draft.

I would probably just IR him no matter what (unless he's ready in the pre-season which looks unlikely) and have him benefit from a NFL training staff and get him back at 100% for 2009.

Posted: January 31, 2008, 1:43 PM Post
NDOG44, What made you think he was a 2nd rounder to start with, or that he'll ever be again? He was sloppy... but he's gifted athletically... that's a super long shot in the draft. I know you're on high on him, but I just don't understand why. He was very spotty in my opinion. Even the quote in the article had him rated as a 4th rounder. I'm not sure how you can qualify someone that played a little above average in a tough conference as a low risk high reward pick in the late rounds. How many times did Sherman draft a guy like this? How many of those guys worked out? I didn't really like him as a Badger, and I'd want no part of him for the Packers. I don't like drafting an "athlete", if TT is going to reach I'd rather have a "football player" type.

At any rate, too bad for Ike, I'm struggling trying to come up with someone else this has happened to.

edit. My point about Ike is that if he's a 4th rounder prior to the injury, he'll be lucky to be anything more than a free agent signing if/when he's healthy. I don't see any team taking a flyer on him now that his one attribute has been drastically impacted.

Posted: January 31, 2008, 3:11 PM Post
Not sure why you're singling me out with a question, as I'm saying that he'll never be a mid to high first round pick, so there's no reason to wait two more years for the draft.

That said, I'm not sure you give him enough credit for his football play. He's pretty good, even if a tad inconsistent (see Minnesota). Projected in the fourth round? That's one man's opinion. And it's the only one I've seen from anyone that had him that low.

Posted: February 04, 2008, 2:48 PM Post
I think Scott Wright had him in rounds 2 - 3 originally.

Posted: February 11, 2008, 1:42 AM Post
Ike was easily in the top 50 before his injury - guys with his tools and at least some history of shut-down ability as a CB don't come around every day.

Posted: February 25, 2008, 1:53 AM Post

It appears he may not even be drafted. His knee is in bad shape and his character are concerns for teams.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=721573

Posted: February 25, 2008, 7:47 AM Post
If Ikegwuonu had spotless character and a clean medical chart, the consensus among teams had him going in the second round. Now, if he's drafted at all, scouts say it will be late.

So there you go. I can see though Rosenhaus selling Ike on not signing if he is picked in the 6th/7th round and trying to go back in the draft. His legal issues should be resolved by then as well. Young people do stupid things (I did some stupid things when I was that age), and I would be much more concerned about a drugs or weapons charge than stealing someone's X-Box (IIRC). But if Ike is still there in the 7th and the Packers have a compensatory pick at the end of the round I'd take the gamble and offer him a 3-year deal that is back-loaded with incentives in the 2nd and 3rd years to see if he will sign.

Posted: February 25, 2008, 8:23 AM Post
But if Ike is still there in the 7th and the Packers have a compensatory pick at the end of the round I'd take the gamble and offer him a 3-year deal that is back-loaded with incentives in the 2nd and 3rd years to see if he will sign.

I think it'd be in Ike's favor to sign no matter what round he gets picked in. Being drafted in the 6th or 7th round won't allow a team to really offer too many incentives (due to the rookie pool money assigned to each team). I just think the medical treatment/therapy he'd receive would be solid and he'd be able to come in and learn the defense.

There aren't too many examples of players sitting out a year, but it didn't work out too well for the last two I remember -- Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams. I hope he gets drafted and just gets IR'd. I personally think it'd be in his best interest.

Posted: February 25, 2008, 8:56 AM Post
There aren't too many examples of players sitting out a year, but it didn't work out too well for the last two I remember -- Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams.
Clarett had plenty of other things on his mind that probably affected his play. Not to mention the fact that he just wasn't that good save for his freshman year. He wasn't very fast and he broke a few tackles from 220 lb. defensive ends...big whoop. The NFL is a different story, and he didn't show himself to be an NFL back. Plus, he used his year off to drive around with guns and vodka.

I think Ike is a completely different story than those guys. He's been touted for his physical skills, so if he gets himself back into top shape, he could look mighty tempting to a lot of teams next year if he measures well.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: February 25, 2008, 9:24 AM Post
I think Ike is a completely different story than those guys. He's been touted for his physical skills, so if he gets himself back into top shape, he could look mighty tempting to a lot of teams next year if he measures well.

How could he look tempting? A player sitting out a year coming off a very severe injury doesn't look all that tempting. I know Clarett doesn't fit the mold perfectly, but there just aren't guys that sit out a year between college and the NFL and succeed all that often.

Also, there's nothing wrong with taking a year of 6th round or 7th round pick money. That's not a bad living by any stretch. I think sitting the year out could backfire and I'm afraid he's going to be heavily influenced by his agent.

I can understand sitting out if he doesn't get drafted. That would be more of a tough sell, but I think the ideal thing for him would be to get drafted and then be IR'd. Being able to get into top shape will be a little easier in a NFL training facility.

Posted: February 25, 2008, 10:29 AM Post
I know Clarett doesn't fit the mold perfectly, but there just aren't guys that sit out a year between college and the NFL and succeed all that often.
Clarett really didn't fit any mold even close to perfectly. He was an undersized running back with below average speed. Not a good combination. I was always amazed that he had any success at all.

I realize they don't succeed all that often, and that's mostly because this scenario doesn't come around all that often. As I've said before, Ike is in a different situation because it's his physical skills that have teams interested in him...not his technique. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to showcase those physical skills because he can't compete at the combine.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:45 AM Post
Clarett really didn't fit any mold even close to perfectly. He was an undersized running back with below average speed. Not a good combination. I was always amazed that he had any success at all.

He fits the mold that he sat out a year. I know it didn't work out for him in the NFL, but I personally think he would have had a better shot if he didn't miss a year.

I realize they don't succeed all that often, and that's mostly because this scenario doesn't come around all that often. As I've said before, Ike is in a different situation because it's his physical skills that have teams interested in him...not his technique. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to showcase those physical skills because he can't compete at the combine.

This situation happens more often then you think...players just get drafted late and put on IR. Players don't sit out the entire year. I think it would be a huge mistake to sit out the entire year. It's a ton of time off from the game and you're making a huge leap to the NFL and coming back from injury. I just don't see how it would be a good idea. I don't think Ike gets drafted in the top 3 rounds in 2009 so he might as well hope he gets drafted now. Again, if he doesn't get drafted then I could see him sitting out, but to be honest I think Ike's chances of playing in the NFL are slim if he doesn't get picked this year.

If Ike has that much potential to be taken in a better spot in 2009, why wouldn't a team take him in the draft this year? That's what I don't understand. If I have an injured player who is actually a top 50 talent, why not take him in the 4th or 5th round and put him on IR? Wouldn't that be a good plan?

Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:59 AM Post
If Ike has that much potential to be taken in a better spot in 2009, why wouldn't a team take him in the draft this year?
Because he isn't able to participate in the combine in order to assure GM's of his physical skills. If his rehab goes well, he could possibly show that next year at a combine or at a workout with scouts watching. I thought I made that pretty clear.

Not sure if this really matters anyway. He can't really enter the draft again next year if he doesn't get drafted this year...can he?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: February 26, 2008, 5:41 AM Post
Because he isn't able to participate in the combine in order to assure GM's of his physical skills. If his rehab goes well, he could possibly show that next year at a combine or at a workout with scouts watching. I thought I made that pretty clear.

My point is that if a team one take a shot on him this year late in the draft and IR him for possible future talent. Does that make sense? In other words, if I'm the Packers in round 5 and Ike is this good prospect who is hurt I'd be crazy not to take him and IR him for a year. It won't cost a ton and the 5th round pick may turn out looking like a 3rd round pick. Ike has played plenty of games in college to give GM's a measure of his physical skills. If Ike doesn't gets picked in round 6 or 7 this year, I have a hard time believing he's going to get picked that much higher in 2009. I really believe it would be in his best interests to report to a team that drafts him. Between his injury and his off the field issue I think Ike getting drafted is not a sure thing.

Not sure if this really matters anyway. He can't really enter the draft again next year if he doesn't get drafted this year...can he?

From my understanding (and I think it was in the jsonline) he can enter the draft next year even if he does get drafted. He just has to refuse to sign and the team would lost its rights in 12 months. I'm guessing it would be more difficult if he doesn't get picked, but I'd imagine there has to be some injury clause that would allow it?

Posted: February 26, 2008, 6:23 AM Post
My point is that if a team one take a shot on him this year late in the draft and IR him for possible future talent. Does that make sense?
Actually no.

Ike has played plenty of games in college to give GM's a measure of his physical skills.
It's a little deceptive to pick out a guy's measurables during a game. That's why we have the combine. If Ike came back next year and ran a 4.4, he could possibly propel himself into the first 3 rounds (although the fact of the injury would probably bump him further down).

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that if a team takes him at all, he should go and take the year of IR. I'm just saying that he is in a different position than most guys because he's being judged largely on his measurables. Clarett was judged on his production, and he was able to produce a lot in a short time (thanks to a stellar o-line).

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: February 26, 2008, 8:38 AM Post
Actually no.

Why wouldn't it make sense? Look at how many late round picks don't make the roster. A spot wouldn't have to be created for Ike in 2008. I think it does make sense looking at a possible promising prospect who you can esentially burn a late pick on and keep him on IR.

It's a little deceptive to pick out a guy's measurables during a game. That's why we have the combine. If Ike came back next year and ran a 4.4, he could possibly propel himself into the first 3 rounds (although the fact of the injury would probably bump him further down).

I don't think he has any chance to be drafted in the first 3 rounds next year. What about missing a year? I think that is a big negative. He won't be on a NFl roster whereas if he would've signed the deal (given he gets drafted) he would have a year to study the playbook. The combine brings out positives, but it is by no means a slam dunk. How many great combine players have never translated it in the NFL? Ahmad Carroll had a great combine, but that didn't really translate to the NFL. I think GMs can pick out all they need to from most players in games -- the combine just swings guys up and down a bit unless a player has an awful showing.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that if a team takes him at all, he should go and take the year of IR. I'm just saying that he is in a different position than most guys because he's being judged largely on his measurables. Clarett was judged on his production, and he was able to produce a lot in a short time (thanks to a stellar o-line).

I just used Clarett and Williams as examples of players who sat out a year. I know there are different scenarios, but I don't really remember too many players coming out of college with a major injury and sitting out a year and then being drafted. I personally think Mike Williams was ruined by sitting out the year.

Posted: February 26, 2008, 9:01 AM Post
Your sentence didn't make grammatical sense so I didn't know what you were trying to say. I just thought it was funny that you followed it with "does that make sense?" Image

~ReverendBrewmeister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply