Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ikegwuonu Declares for NFL Draft

Posted: January 24, 2008, 1:05 PM Post
How would his situation be helped by backing out of the draft now? Are you saying he should wait around for the 2010 Draft?

Posted: January 24, 2008, 1:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
I heard that it was a dislocated kneecap but not about the ligament damage. Tough tough break for him.

Posted: January 24, 2008, 1:47 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
How would his situation be helped by backing out of the draft now?

I'm sure the logic would be like Lee Evans' - Medical redshirt 08, play senior year in 09.

Not possible from the sounds of it, but it might have been his best option 5 days ago.

Posted: January 24, 2008, 2:35 PM Post
Yeah, but Lee Evans had a chance to be a top 15 pick, which he was. Ikegwuono isn't as good as Evans. Obviously it's a moot point, but Ike would be in college for six years using that logic...or he could at least collect a paycheck on IR for a year, and the year after for playing...and since he'd be a lower round pick, he might only sign a three year deal?

Posted: January 24, 2008, 3:18 PM Post
Actually my thought-process was that he could back out now, spend the year rehabbing, and enter the draft in '09. He wouldn't come back to play another year. The idea is that next year he could show in workouts and combines that he's fully recovered, as well as hopefully being able to show above-average physical characteristics. It wouldn't be much, but it may be the difference between a 4th-5th round pick as opposed to a 7th or not at all.

Doesn't really matter since he can't go that route, but it was just a thought.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 24, 2008, 6:20 PM Post
Yeah that does suck. But some team is going to get a steal in the 7th round. It's not like young guys aren't put on IR sometimes anyway as kind of a redshirt in the NFL.

And I wouldn't mind if the Packers did exactly that. Heck, if they had a 6th I wouldn't mind it even there (since their 6th would have for all intensive purposes been a 7th, but we all know TT, he will trade down somewhere to acquire a 6th - that's his lucky round). In fact, I would actually feel better about the Packers taking him with their 7th round pick and stashing him on IR for a year than the Packers taking him with their 2nd/3rd if he had not gotten injured.

But now he is screwed. No more scholarship, no free education, no NFL contract. Just ask Lee Deramus.

Posted: January 25, 2008, 1:32 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
The Packers are a team that could certainly grab Ike on day 2 and stash him on the IR for a year. We don't have an 'immediate' need for him at CB, so it'd be a low risk, high reward pick. Obviously it doesn't strengthen the d-backfield in 08, so taking a guy like Reggie Smith on day 1 is still a must, but with his ability to play CB/S, he would probably be the ideal player for the Pack to take.

Posted: January 25, 2008, 4:37 AM Post
But now he is screwed. No more scholarship, no free education, no NFL contract. Just ask Lee Deramus
I could be wrong, but wasn't DeRamus a 2nd round pick? I thought he was actually given a pretty good chance to play but just didn't produce.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 25, 2008, 6:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
DeRamus was a 6th round pick by the Saints in 1995.

Posted: January 25, 2008, 8:48 AM Post
How would his situation be helped by backing out of the draft now? Are you saying he should wait around for the 2010 Draft?

It depends I guess -- If his knee is really really bad, he red-shirts 2009, plays in 2010, gets a free education, and perhaps salvages his draft status -- If no teams are willing to draft him, it seems like a decent option, if nothing else for a "normal life"

Curious to know what team that guy works for, since Ike was largely considered a 2nd rounder by practically everyone.

Well -- Maybe said executive is interested in burning a late round pick on Ike, and his position wouldn't be helped by saying "we still are going to draft him in the sixth round because we think he is 1st day talent" -- just guessing.

Posted: January 25, 2008, 11:16 AM Post
He's going to be collecting at least some kind of paycheck next year guys. It could be an NFL minimum, but he'll be on someone's team learning their system, and he should be a rookie *plus* in 2009.

To you guys who are suggesting he would go back to school (he can't I know) and just come out for the 2009 draft without playing in '08, THAT would be similar to what Lee Deramus did. If he could go back to school and chose that route, the only route that makes sense would be for him to redshirt next year, play in '09 and enter the '10 draft. That's a long time to wait.

The difference between a 5th round contract and a 7th round contract is, well, not much. And if he were to come out in '09 after not playing, all he'd really be doing is play an extra year on his first contract.

Posted: January 26, 2008, 6:22 AM Post
"the only route that makes sense would be for him to redshirt next year, play in '09 and enter the '10 draft. That's a long time to wait. "

That's essentially what Lee Evans did right?

Posted: January 26, 2008, 6:43 AM Post
That's essentially what Lee Evans did right?

Yes, but Evans had a reason...he was a pretty high first rounder. Ike is not and will not be. Also, Evans didn't redshirt already did he? Six years in college is a long time, when in all likelihood it's only a difference of a couple rounds...he could be in his final year of his rookie contract or he could be a rookie in 2010. I just don't see the point of doing what Evans did (if he could). That's just my opinion.

Posted: January 26, 2008, 6:52 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Yes, but Evans had a reason...he was a pretty high first rounder. Ike is not and will not be.

While I agree, Ike could be an early 2nd rounder if healthy, and in a weak CB class he could potentially be a late 1st rounder (which makes his decision to come out this year all that more poor).

And no, Lee never redshirted his freshman year.

Posted: January 26, 2008, 7:37 AM Post
I guess that's what I'm saying. Would waiting two years be worth going in to the second round? Let's say he did just that (again, not possible, just laying it out)...first of all the higher the pick, the longer the rookie contract. So, he waits two years, enters the draft in '10, gets drafted in the second round, and signs a 5 year $4.5 millon contract. In seven years he makes $4.5 million.

Now, let's look at what could happen realistically. If he gets drafted in the seventh round, he'd more than likely be looking at something along the lines of 4 years $1.8 million. Then, he's a free agent, and you'll have a hard time convincing me that he couldn't make $2.7 million over those next three years. More likely, he'd at least double that if he's an average player.

On the other hand, Lee Evans got $7 million guaranteed as soon as he signed his name. But the money drops off dramatically after you get in the middle of the first round. Aaron Rodgers doesn't even make $1 million a year.

Of course, if he's not good, or can't recover fully then yes this setback is monumental.

Posted: January 26, 2008, 2:50 PM Post
If he gets drafted in the seventh round, he'd more than likely be looking at something along the lines of 4 years $1.8 million.

I don't pay much attention to contracts signed after the first round, but do 7th round picks really get that much? I thought 7th round picks got 2-3 year deals for a little more than league minimum ($300K/year).

Posted: January 26, 2008, 4:54 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Deshawn Wynn signed a 4-year, 1.7 million dollar deal as one of our 7th rounders this year. I have no idea what the year-to-year terms of his deal actually are, but if you figure he gets a 200k signing bonus, that works out to ~375,000 per year.

Posted: January 26, 2008, 5:44 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
ESPN is reporting that Ike may not miss the entire 2008 season, as the damage was completely limited to his ACL:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3213166

Posted: January 27, 2008, 4:28 AM Post
I can't imagine a team would keep him on their active roster just to see if he can come back at the end of the season.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 27, 2008, 4:50 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
They could put him on the PUP list and have the ability to activate him after week 6.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply