Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ikegwuonu Declares for NFL Draft

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:15 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Wisconsin JR CB Jack Ikegwuonu has declared, per ESPN and the JS Blog:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2008/01/07/ikegwuonu-set-to-leave-for-the-nfl.aspx

Kind of surprising, since the general impression seemed to be that he would come back.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:31 PM Post
I see folks speculating elsewhere that he anticipates a bad outcome from his upcoming court case and that he would then be suspended for a chunk of next season, hence the decision. Not sure if it's valid or not - maybe he just got a higher grade from the committee than he expected? Either way, the secondary is pretty thin at corner going into next year, as is the coaching staff. (Hankwitz was fired today, just as an FYI)

Posted: January 09, 2008, 11:14 AM Post
Disapointing, but I think someone will step up and we wont really miss him

Posted: January 10, 2008, 2:24 AM Post
Hankwitz was fired today, just as an FYI

This may be as good as reason as any for Ikegwuonu to leave

Posted: January 11, 2008, 6:41 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Ike has signed with Rosenhaus, per the JS.

Posted: January 11, 2008, 6:44 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Ike has signed with Rosenhaus, per the JS.

Wonderful. He just dropped on my draft board.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 12, 2008, 7:11 AM Post
Ike has size and speed, I can see why he's leaving... however he's not very assignment sure, but he might end up a first day pick just on raw talent... I could see him going late in round 2 if a team fell in love with his measurables.

Posted: January 13, 2008, 7:07 AM Post
I'm pretty confident that late in the second round would be a worst case scenario for him.

Posted: January 15, 2008, 10:55 AM Post
id say there is a decent chance he could end up being a Packer

Posted: January 22, 2008, 2:01 PM Post
Yeah I was gonna say T Bone, Packers need to draft a CB imo, and Ike is a pretty damn good one. What CBs are better than him in college football? I know Barry Alvarez always said he was the best in the country, but he's just propping up his guy.

And would be good competition for Blackmon and Williams.

Posted: January 23, 2008, 7:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jamar Fletcher looked like the best CB in the country when he was in Madison, too, and turned out to be a pretty big bust in the NFL. I'm not saying that Ike will end up being a bust, but I'd definitely take a long look into his injury history before rolling the dice with him. I'd rather see the Packers take Talib or Reggie Smith than Ike, but maybe that's just me.

Posted: January 23, 2008, 8:10 PM Post
Well crewcrazy, Troy Vincent looked like the best CB in the country (along with Terrell Buckley), and it turned out he WAS the best CB in the country, so don't discount UW corners (a guy named Nate Odomes was a pretty good 2nd round pick of the Bills in 1987 also). I don't think they are talking about Ike with the 1st - I think they are talking about him with the 2nd. He fits the profile of the CB they are looking for (and he does remind me a little of Al Harris) and I was thinking about that the other day, but the Packers have said they are pretty big on high-character guys so I don't know if his off-field issues will turn the Packers away from him, especially given how deep corner is in the draft. Depending on how they feel about his off-field issues, I think there certainly is a chance he could be a Packer with their 2nd round pick.

Speaking of Vincent, they guy in this years draft who reminds me of him is Tracy Porter from Indiana. A little bit of a finesse player so he might not project to what the Packers are looking for, but like Vincent a guy from a lower Big-10 school (remember, UW was a bottom-feeder when Vincent was there) who quietly went about his business and is a good kick returner in addition to a corner. I don't know if Porter will be a star, but I think he will be a solid NFL corner who barring injury will have a long career.

Posted: January 24, 2008, 9:27 AM Post
Ike blew out his knee. He will not play football in 2008:

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=1/24/2008&id=34570

Posted: January 24, 2008, 9:55 AM Post

Graphic Designer
Global Moderator
Wow. That really, relly sucks for Ike.

Posted: January 24, 2008, 10:06 AM Post

Yeah that does suck. But some team is going to get a steal in the 7th round. It's not like young guys aren't put on IR sometimes anyway as kind of a redshirt in the NFL.

Posted: January 24, 2008, 10:50 AM Post
Oh man, I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said..but that's really unfortunate for him. It's an unfortunate situation where nobody wins - lost money and career prospects for him, UW still has a hole to fill in the secondary..

Posted: January 24, 2008, 10:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
This is just about the worst thing that could have happened to him. If you would have told me a CB in this draft blew out his new and tore all those ligaments while training I would have guessed Bowman, not Ike. If I were Ike I would still go to the combine and take part in the interviews. Good interviews could salvage some value. Try to impress a team so much they will take him in the sixth round instead of the seventh. Thats probably the best possible outcome he can hope for now.

Posted: January 24, 2008, 11:35 AM Post
Wow. Did not see that coming.

Any chance that because of the situation he can still back out of the draft? I realize the time to declare or pull out has come and gone, but I thought there could be some stipulation allowing him to wait one more year to enter. Since he's mostly being judged on his physical abilities, he could spend the next year getting back into shape and with a good combine he could at least bump himself up a few rounds. Just a thought.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 24, 2008, 11:38 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
"He's screwed now," an executive in personnel for an NFL team said. "He wasn't going to be that high of a pick, anyway. Fourth round

Curious to know what team that guy works for, since Ike was largely considered a 2nd rounder by practically everyone.

Posted: January 24, 2008, 1:01 PM Post
By the sounds of the injury I wouldn't be surprised if his skills are greatly diminished from the injury (i.e. he's not very effective in the NFL). Reconstructive knee surgery sounds more severe than the normal ACL/MCL type of injury.

Just my opinion though, I'm no doctor.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply