Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

BCS Championship Game #1 Ohio St. vs #2 LSU

Posted: January 07, 2008, 3:59 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
Ok, so all it's taken for OSU to score is a total breakdown on a running play by LSU, and a ridiculous catch on a poorly-aimed throw on 4th & 5. The chances that OSU comes out & suddenly lights things up are pretty bleak - especially when you consider that OSU was only able to get 6 yards on that drive in 4 downs.

EDIT: According to the announcers, we're now officially "teetering on the edge of a big momentum change." Back to 'mute' for me!

"Thank you, Senator... a thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" -- Moderator Morbo

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:00 PM Post
I'll get toasted for this, but some of what's going on tonight is about speed: LSU's D is just flat out faster than OSU's O. It's a boring SEC myth in general, but true in the specific at times. Edit to add: Boeckman has played much worse the last 3 games than he did earlier in the year, and that has also hurt dOSU badly.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:12 PM Post
litesrn said:
I'll get toasted for this, but some of what's going on tonight is about speed: LSU's D is just flat out faster than OSU's O. It's a boring SEC myth in general, but true in the specific at times.

not from me you won't. They looked slow last year, and they look slow again this year. What I didn't think would happen is them getting out powered.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:16 PM Post
Global Moderator
At least they're putting up somewhat of a fight here at the end of the game. If they get within a field goal I'd consider it a moral victory for the Big Ten.

(Well, at least they were until that fumble by Boeckman)

I don't think it's an SEC vs. Big Ten issue as much as it's an Ohio State vs. SEC issue. Wisconsin has historically had a good amount of success against the SEC and Michigan has been spectacular against the SEC...I just don't think Ohio State builds their teams to play these kinds of teams as well as some other schools in the conference do. In conference play they can outmuscle the other teams, but they have no idea how to play teams with speed...we saw that a bit with the Illinois game.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:30 PM Post
who is the color guy for this game. He is freaking horrible.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:31 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
I can't remember which announcer it was, but one of the main guys during a major bowl/bowl pre-game discussion pointed out UW's win v. Arkansas as a prime example of why the speed issue was overstated in favor of the SEC.

Tressell loves his bruisers, and really only seems to have great speed at WR consistently. The SEC is all about the ath-a-letes, to borrow from brettac.

"Thank you, Senator... a thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" -- Moderator Morbo

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:52 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
You know, the Pac-10 really might have been the best conference this year, top to bottom. Random thoughts time, apparently.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:53 PM Post
well the ending to a very entertaining college season ended with a HUGE EH!

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:56 PM Post
They game itself was OK, but the announcers need to be better. Its the biggest game of the year and you have two nobodies of college football doing the game. I know Musburger works for ABC and was doing the game on ESPN radio but come on, you have to get someone better fox.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 4:57 PM Post
Somebody want to tell Chris Rose that he's a little too old and a little too fat to do the messy hairdo thing on national TV.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 5:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
only 12 short weeks 'til spring practices!

(I honestly have no idea on this, nor do I care)

I don't mind Thom Brennaman as a baseball guy nor a football guy. If it's a close game, he's like Gus Johnson, in that he makes every play exciting. That Boise St.-Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl would have been completely different had, say, Verne Lundquist or Dan Bonner doing the PBP. At least tonight's game wasn't such a laugher that Brenneman had to start telling jokes/stories/etc. to pass the time.

Posted: January 07, 2008, 5:42 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
Thom Brennamen was fine for me. I disliked the color guy & the replays immensely

Posted: January 08, 2008, 1:22 AM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
Thom Brennamen was fine for me. I disliked the color guy & the replays immensely

The color guy, Charles Davis, worked a few Wisconsin games on the Big Ten network this year. He was horrible then, still was horrible last night.

Posted: January 08, 2008, 2:25 AM Post

Graphic Designer
Global Moderator
Yeah, that Charles Davis guy was absolutely horrible, and enough reason why college football should find a way never to let FOX broadcast the big BCS bowls again if they can't even get a competent crew together. That guy really made the game last night hard to watch.

I have a hard time taking Chris Rose seriously as a halftime show host. He should stick to the Best Dang Show Ever, Period and talking about Hooters bikini models. FOX just should not be involved with college football on a national level.

As for the game, I'm surprised Ohio State got trounced like that. I'm not so sure speed is what got them, I would say they got man-handled on both sides of the line. And why did they abandon the run so early in the game? Sad that Ohio State has layed a big egg two years in a row and the "Big Ten is slow" crap will continue.

Posted: January 08, 2008, 3:36 AM Post
Some second thoughts: it wasn't just speed, but the way LSU's D ran right past the dOSU O was a difference, and vice versa. I'm not sure that there's a big difference at the skill positions (maybe OSU's WRs weren't all that?) but there was a difference between the two lines and LBs.
And Boeckman didn't play well at all.

Posted: January 08, 2008, 5:07 AM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
I think the 'speed' thing is partly a product of scheme, too. The Tigers run/ran a lot more 3+ WR sets on offense than OSU did. I think the LSU defense as a whole was at least a step faster than the OSU squad - especially the d-line v. o-line. That was ugly.

Conversely, OSU's line was not disrputive in the pocket much at all. That alone can make one defense look 'fast' and another 'slow' - when your d-backs have to chase for longer on each play, they're bound to get beaten eventually.

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply