Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 22 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Outback Bowl

Outback Bowl

Posted: December 30, 2007, 5:00 PM Post
What do you guys expect? Tennessee's spread offense scares me, but I've learned over the years to never say never to ol' Sconnie. If our running game punishes their defense and we can control the TOP, I'd say we could beat them fairly handily. At the same token, I can see us losing by a large margin if things get out of hand. It could really go either way.

Outback Bowl

Posted: December 31, 2007, 4:16 AM Post
Tennessee is very overrated, while the Badgers have been underrated all year. Unfortunately, this would have been the year for Wisconsin to make some noise in the national championship chase, and like a typical Wisconsin team, after wiping the floor with crappy opponents to begin the year, they lost a couple tough games in the middle of the season, to Iowa and Illinois. If they would have won just one of those games, there's a good chance Wisconsin would be playing in the Rose Bowl. As it is, they will be playing in their typical mid-major bowl game.

I hope someday that the Badgers have a good team that isn't outshone by a great team in Columbus or Ann Arbor. It seems like every time the Badgers have a team that should be getting national attention, Ohio State or Michigan has a great team too. Those two will always get more attention than Wisconsin.

I'm excited to watch the game, though, to see what happens with some of the young players. Not a huge fan of Gilreath's potential as a receiver, but as a returner, he could be great. I think Jefferson will be a good one, as will Toon starting next year. Zach Brown is a nice little RB, but I'd rather see a bigger bruiser like Hill or eventually Clay be the featured guy. If Clay doesn't win the starting RB job next year, look for him to swith positions, either to WR or TE, or maybe safety or LB...he's just too talented to keep off the field.

Outback Bowl

Posted: December 31, 2007, 4:55 AM Post
I'm pretty sure Wisconsin opened up the season in the top 5...that's hardly underrated all year. The defense underachieved from the get go. They might be a tad underrated as far as this actual game matchup against Tennessee goes though. I think Wisconsin will put out another one.

As far as Zach Brown goes, I'm ecstatic that everything I read has Brown being not only the starter as of now for this game, but basically the starter going in to next year as well. I love it, as I think he's better than Hill (and Lance Smith is too for that matter). It's nice to see Bielema has the balls to not base the depth chart on past numbers, which in Hill's case were mostly inflated by big games against not so good teams.

Outback Bowl

Posted: December 31, 2007, 7:32 AM Post
I think it will be close but Wisconsin pulls it out somehow.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 01, 2008, 9:18 AM Post
Disappointing loss. Ainge played really well, though. Tough year for the Badgers.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 01, 2008, 9:48 AM Post
It looks like if Donovan doesn't under throw that last ball it might have been 6.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 01, 2008, 10:51 AM Post
Tough to say. Donovan telepathed the pass and the DB was reading him the entire time. It could have gone for six, but it would have had to been a darn-near perfect pass to the corner of the endzone.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 01, 2008, 10:56 AM Post
sad that may have been Donavans last pass.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 01, 2008, 2:13 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
Hubbard made no effort to come back & get that ball. I've never been a fan of Hubbard - great athlete, average to below-avg. receiver. It wasn't the best throw at all, but it sucked to see Hubbard not make the right play. Not surprisingly, the guy who came to the ball caught it.

I find myself wishing Donovan had at least another year of eligibility. He certainly showed that to him part of being the starting QB is staying on the field, and got better as the year went on. It's kind of an odd situation to go from a senior year of Stocco, to a Sr. year of Donovan, to a Sr. year of Evridge (sp?) - most likely. Hopefully Evridge can be as productive as Donovan.

Last edited by TooLiveBrew on January 01, 2008, 2:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

"Thank you, Senator... a thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" -- Moderator Morbo

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 01, 2008, 3:00 PM Post
Allan Evridge does wear the great #4, so perhaps we can expect great things? ; )

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 01, 2008, 4:44 PM Post
Hill played better than Brown.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 02, 2008, 3:07 AM Post
BrewCrewIn2004 said:
It looks like if Donovan doesn't under throw that last ball it might have been 6.

IIRC, the WR was inside of the safety, and the ball was thrown high. If he had been able to make the throw earlier, they might have been able to make the completion. (I say this without the benefit of watching the "highlight" while posting.)

A little disappointed in the performance of the offensive line.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 02, 2008, 6:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
In my opinion, it shouldn't have even come down to that interception on the last drive of the game. If the Badgers had kicked the field goal on the previous possession instead of going for it with 7 minutes left, they could have cut the Tennessee lead down to 1, and then they could play for another field goal at the end of game instead of having Donovan forcing that pass at the end of the game. Melhaff has been close to automatic all year, so I have a hard time understanding why they didn't just take the points with 7 minutes left in the game.

Of course, a lot of the headaches at the end of the game could have been avoided if they hadn't used their first two timeouts because they lined up in an illegal formation (I believe it was 4 timeouts used for that reason when you count the first half, too)...just stupid mental mistakes that could have easily been avoided. To me it looked like most of the team was playing hung over after partying too hard the night before...just an "ugh" game all around that was tough to take because Tennessee made their fair share of mistakes, too.

I will say, though, that Donovan impressed me with the way he kept getting up after getting drilled on nearly every dropback. The offensive line did a horrible job of protecting him, but he played well considering the circumstances. I'm still pretty surprised he was able to come back into the game after that scary slide...I seriously thought he tore up his knee on that play.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 02, 2008, 6:06 AM Post
I agree - the 4th and 2 choice was the wrong one. BB keeps being ballsy with those choices, but that doesn't make them right - if we take the FG there, then options are open.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 02, 2008, 2:27 PM Post
Wasn't it 4th and 1? And I don't think there was 7:00 left.

I agree with the decision to go for it. However the actual play call was not a good one.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 02, 2008, 2:57 PM Post
i think i might have kicked it there....i believe there was 6 minutes left but im not sure. Yeah and if I would have went for it, I definately would have ran the ball.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 02, 2008, 3:31 PM Post
According to Yahoo's drive log:

4th-2, Tenn10 6:30 T. Donovan incomplete pass to the left

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 02, 2008, 4:41 PM Post
From what I recall it was like 4th and 1.5 - not quite 2. I wanted him to kick the field goal but I wasn't too upset they went for it. As Ndog said, the play call was lame.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 03, 2008, 3:54 AM Post
From what I recall it was like 4th and 1.5 - not quite 2. I wanted him to kick the field goal but I wasn't too upset they went for it. As Ndog said, the play call was lame.

Exactly -- It was not 2 yds -- but more than 1. I would have been happy if they would have either kicked the FG or ran it straight ahead, or did some sort of Donovan keeper.

Outback Bowl

Posted: January 03, 2008, 5:21 AM Post
I thought it was more like 6 minutes left. And the story I read said that Tennessee took over with 5:52 left. So I guess that the final play could have taken 40 seconds or so.

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 22 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply