Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 29 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Your 2016 Wisconsin Badgers

Your 2016 Wisconsin Badgers

Posted: May 07, 2016, 11:13 AM Post
More under the "2017 Wisconsin Badgers", but the Badgers had a big day yesterday with the announcements of two transfers being accepted, both at positions of need in two years. RB Chris James comes from Pitt where he was the top reserve behind James Connor two seasons ago and behind Narduzzi's recruit Ollison last year. He was recruited by UW but GA preferred Caleb Kinlaw who has since transferred. The big one is CB Nick Nelson from Hawaii, a 6' 200 lb corner who was second in PBU last year in the Mountain West. He had a very good game against UW and apparently really liked Madison in the short time he was here.

The biggest losses were OL Hayden Biegel and Walker Williams, and DL Arthur Goldberg, all retiring due to head injuries. UW is deep in DL, but this leaves UW with only 10 scholarship OL and of those C Dan Volz is still recovering from his leg injury late last year and Kevin Estes is listed as weighing only 251 lbs - he's either been hurt to the point where he can't lift weights or he is moving to TE or DE. Volz (SR) and UWSP transfer Ryan Ramczyk (JR) - slated to be the starting LT - are the only upper-classmen on the OL.

The one thing that bugs me is the position switches for Leon Jacobs and Serge Trezy. How do you take the two most athletic players on the team and continue to find ways to not get them on the field? I get that ILB is really deep, but redshirt Orr for a year - he's good but not that good. They've moved Trezy back to CB, but that's his third position now - first S, then back to RB, now CB. They need depth at DB, but he shouldn't have wasted a year as the 4th string RB.

Can Bart Houston step up to become the QB people thought he would when he was recruited? Can Hornibrook become a better Stave and step up as a RS FR? Brutal schedule, with four of their first six games against LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State (and the next game at Iowa). We'll find out what they are made of quick. A slow start and there will be plenty of cheap tickets available for the Minnesota game.

Re: Your 2016 Wisconsin Badgers

Posted: May 11, 2016, 1:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Can Hornibrook become a better Stave and step up as a RS FR?

You lost me... what is an RS FR?

Nice to hear that we are getting some transfers after all the talk about high standards not allowing us to utilize that route as much.

Posted: May 12, 2016, 6:37 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Can Hornibrook become a better Stave and step up as a RS FR?

You lost me... what is an RS FR?

RS FR is abbreviation Redshirt Freshman: a college player one year after graduation from high school, but now using their first year of eligibility.

Posted: July 06, 2016, 8:30 PM Post
Also more under the 2017 Wisconsin Badgers, but they got a preferred walk-on commitment from Danny Vanden Boom, a QB from Kimberly, WI. If the name sounds familiar, yes, it's "that" Vanden Boom.

Those of us old-timers remember that back in the early 80's first-team all Big Ten awards for UW players were few and far between. But Matt Vanden Boom, a safety, did it in back-to-back years in 1981 and 1982. His interception(s) were key to beating Michigan, which was a huge deal back then.

While Vanden Boom is a great name for a safety, Danny threw for ~2500 yards with 25 TDs and zero INTs. Don't know if he can become anything or what position he will play, but if he can develop into another Stave or another Vanden Boom (his dad started out as a walk-on) that would be really cool. Will be great to see "Vanden Boom" on the back of a UW jersey again.

Posted: August 23, 2016, 10:28 PM Post
Dan Voltz gave up playing football today due to injuries. UW has now had every OL recruit from the 2012 and 2013 classes give up football due to injuries.

The starting OL is now Ramczyk (JR, DIII transfer, never played a D1 game), one of Dietzen (RS FR)/Kapoi (SO), Dieter (SO), Benzschawel (SO), and Maxwell (SO). Second team is Moorman (RS FR), other of Kapoi/Dietzen, Connors (SO, former walk-on), Schmidt (SR, former walk-on)/Panos (SO), and Edwards (RS FR, moved from TE).

Panos has never appeared on a two-deep depth chart. Connors and Schmidt were ahead of him last year, even though he got in two games.

Posted: August 24, 2016, 12:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, it's beginning to look like it might be a long year on the offensive line.

Posted: August 25, 2016, 10:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
Is the QB starter decision posturing to keep LSU guessing or do you really think they are deciding?

Posted: August 28, 2016, 8:21 AM Post
Everything I've read said that it was close. Not all practices were available to the media, so the media has no visibility into some of what goes into the decision-making. Supposedly Houston looked better than Horny in the second scrimmage and practices since.

Frankly, I don't want a freshman starting his first game against an Aranda-led LSU defense.

Posted: September 02, 2016, 11:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm glad it was Houston also. He certainly has a better arm. Tomorrow should be interesting...

Posted: September 03, 2016, 3:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
Well. This first half has certainly been surprising, to say the least. I have got to think that LSU will come out for the second half with a chip on their shoulder to show what they are really like. The Badgers, meanwhile, might be over hyped up and need to keep the,selves contained or it'll slip by them fast.

Posted: September 03, 2016, 5:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
The badger almost have given it away, literally. But pulled it out!

Posted: September 03, 2016, 5:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
58 minutes of well played ball with a 2 minute stretch in the middle in which they shot themselves in the foot several times.

Posted: September 04, 2016, 5:16 PM Post
One down...

Attachments:
14212770_10209161603975377_8088027684515357220_n.jpg
14212770_10209161603975377_8088027684515357220_n.jpg [ 91.06 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Posted: September 08, 2016, 10:44 AM Post
The Badgers tie a record for highest ranking in a week after previously being unranked in the prior week.

Michigan and Ohio State racked up some big offensive numbers; against weaker teams, but Hawaii kept the Badgers in check a few years ago. Going to be some good games.

Posted: September 12, 2016, 11:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
2-0 with a dominating win against Akron. The LSU game was pretty awesome though. Somehow I timed both to be in the car driving at the time and found them on XM radio. [smile]

I wonder if the #10 ranking was a bit of face-saving for LSU? I thought this year was going to be a down year for sure (changing coaches, different system, different players needed for the system, some players leaving...), but looks like they played pretty well. The defense especially. Losing Aranda doesn't look quite so bad now... And beating him, was icing on the cake. [smile]

Posted: September 17, 2016, 12:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
Wow. Can you say, "looking ahead to next week?"

Posted: September 17, 2016, 9:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
Who will be the starting QB next week?

Posted: September 18, 2016, 12:53 AM Post
If its not hornibrook i woukd be shocked and pretty disappointed.

NFL Blitz has better referees.

Posted: September 18, 2016, 2:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
I would imagine that both get time. Houston struggled in that game, but has played well otherwise.

Posted: September 19, 2016, 2:59 PM Post
Badgers were without their #1 RB, their #2 RB went down with injury in the first half (so they played with their #3 and #4 RBs, and the #4 RB got hurt too), and without their #1 TE. GA State was playing 8 in the box consistently, but few jet sweeps or fake jet sweeps to keep the defense honest. Both QBs got hurt by drops, and it's a different game if Shaw doesn't fumble on the 1-yard line. Big momentum shift there.

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 29 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply