[ 8 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Draft Location for 2013 WI Badgers

Draft Location for 2013 WI Badgers

Posted: January 21, 2014, 1:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
So any predictions on where the Badgers are drafted this year? I always expect them to go higher than they do (homer-itis, I guess).

Not sure if this is all of them or not:

OL Ryan Groy
MLB Chris Borland
WR Jared Abbrederis
TE Jacob Pedersen
RB James White
DT Beau Allen
FS Dezmen Southward

Borland is a big mystery due to his size. Certainly a playmaker in college, but will it transition well to the NFL? But fits a need witht he Packers.

Abbrederis - reminds me of a poor man's Jordy Nelson (without Jordy's max speed). Could help with our PR/KR issues. Not a strong need, but could be a good sleeper WR for the Packers (great route running, great hands, so-so on speed).

White - another guy that has great production but not the "right" size for the NFL. Basically, the same player as Franklin on the Packer's roster so probably not a draft candidate unless he drops to the end.

Re: Draft Location for 2013 WI Badgers

Posted: January 21, 2014, 1:13 PM Post
I think Abbrederis could be a steal for someone in the late rounds as a utility man. 4th WR + KR/PR and possibly other special teams. That's not a bad get in the 6th or 7th round.

Borland I go back and forth on. He has insane ball instincts, but that might not matter if he's getting bulldozed all over the place in the NFL.

I'm guessing White goes undrafted and struggles to make a roster. His skillset just doesn't transfer well into the NFL. He's fast, but fast in college means you're outrunning college LBs that run a 4.9 40. Fast in the NFL means those same LBs are running a 4.5 40.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 21, 2014, 3:43 PM Post
I could see White playing the same role as Starks. Starks speed and decisiveness definitely played up last year by coming off the bench. Fresh legs and all of that.

Posted: January 21, 2014, 4:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
Here are my predictions (pre-combine: obviously size/speed/strenght are major factors for each of these guys):

Borland - 2nd-3rd round pick: Would be a 1st rounder if not for height issues (and maybe injury concerns?).
Abbrederis - 4-5th round pick: Assuming he can do a 4.6-40. PR/KR, good hands, good routes. Give him a good QB the last two years and he probably ranks higher.
White - 4-5th round pick: I'm assuming he can run at least a 4.5-40. Runs with good vision and catches the ball well.
Pederson - 6-7th round pick: Non-flashy, good at all - master of non type player.

I really don't know the other players that well.

Posted: January 21, 2014, 5:52 PM Post
Based on past experiences, I'm sure Pederson will get a hard look by some teams. Wisconsin tight ends do well...obviously Owen Daniels did well for himself, Garrett Graham stepped up in his absense, Lance Kendricks has had ups and downs, but he's seen as a high-upside player. The only one in recent memory that has experienced little to no NFL success is Travis Beckum, though I blame that more on the way the Giants have tried to use him. He could be split out in more of a Finley role, but they've been using him like an H-back, basically squandering his abilities. Point is, Badger tight ends seem to translate well to the NFL. That alone could bump up Pederson's value by a round.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: January 23, 2014, 12:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
Reading hereon JSonline for coverage of the senior bowl and they had a little different take on Abbrederis.

They have him listed at 6' 7/10" and 189lbs. And he is also aiming at a 4.4 40 yard dash. CBS Sports has him projected to go in the 3rd round.

I always pegged him as a bigger, taller WR (and a little on the slower side) that used good route running to get open.

If he can pull off a 4.4, he certainly deserves to go up higher.

Posted: January 26, 2014, 7:37 PM Post
If he runs a 4.4, he'll be at least 3rd round. I always thought he was like a 4.55 kind of guy...fast for the Big Ten, but not super fast.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: March 14, 2014, 7:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting that Abbrederis doing so well and Borland not so well on the combine/pro days. Both might go in the 3rd round.

Beau Allen and Dezman Southward are making people take notice also. Southward reminds me of Jerron McMillian; Physical but not mental.

[ 8 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply