Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 64 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Bielema to Arkansas/Badgers set to Hire Gary Andersen (Utah State)

Bielema to Arkansas/Badgers set to Hire Gary Andersen (Utah State)

Posted: December 04, 2012, 2:22 PM Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sou ... 32340.html

I'm not sad about this at all. I hope it's true.

Re: Bielema to Arkansas

Posted: December 04, 2012, 2:24 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
Wow, didn't see that one coming. Arkansas must've ponied up the cash.

"Thank you, Senator... a thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" -- Moderator Morbo

Posted: December 04, 2012, 2:26 PM Post
I'm happy and sad about this at the same time. He wasn't that good of a coach but this was not a good time to do this.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 2:30 PM Post
Not a great coach, but a pretty good recruiter for our purposes.

I don't trust anyone in-house to replace him right now, but I definitely don't want to see a big change in style. It be nice to find someone fresh with East Coast roots that fits the mold, to help tap into that new B1G recruiting market.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 2:32 PM Post
I'm not sad to see him go either just upset this happened before the Rose Bowl. He seemed overrated as a recruiter and I wasn't impressed regarding the mess this team was in early in the season after the loss of some of his coaching staff.

Does UW go after Chryst?

Posted: December 04, 2012, 2:58 PM Post
I'm not overly sad, as I really disliked him as a coach and as a recruiter. That being sad, I feel upset mainly because he said repeatedly how he loved it here, was a big ten guy, etc. Oh well. I also think...Arkansas? Really? There are schools better than UW, but I don't think Arkansas is one of them. Sure, it's in the SEC, but it has no real football tradition and it's not exactly an easy place to recruit to. Have fun Brett.

This replacement decision could really impact the next decade of Badger football. I hope they try to bring Chryst back, he more than held his own at Pitt this year and I think would be a great fit. Gruden would be kinda cool too, though I don't see that happening.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 3:07 PM Post
So I hear Jim Tressel is looking for a job.....

Posted: December 04, 2012, 4:58 PM Post
Those eager to parade Bielema out of town I wonder if remember the Don Morton era... or even Barry Alvarez going 5-7 in 2001 and 6-loss seasons in 2002 and 2003. Anyone remember losing 63-32 to Indiana in 2001... at home? Three straight Rose Bowls, even if the third was opportunistic, is quite an accomplishment. While the play calling was frustrating at times, especially the Rose Bowl against TCU, I'm not sure if that was Bielema or the assistants.

I found this quote from the Yahoo article to be very interesting:

"Wisconsin's relatively modest facilities might also have been an issue for Bielema – a problem he will not encounter at Arkansas."

Maybe Bielema was a better recruiter than results indicated, possibly handicapped by facilities compared to other schools.

Could they do better than Bielema? Perhaps. But I think the odds are better that they will do worse.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 5:08 PM Post
I really didn't think much of him as a coach, always heard he was a good recruiter. It will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace him. I'm sure he got a boatload of money and its the SEC but I don't see how he comes out of this better.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 5:15 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Louis is right about Bielema's success and that's hard to ignore. I'll wait to decide if this is bad or something Wisconsin will benefit from when a successor is actually hired.

A lot of times in sports, the grass is greener. Just ask Michigan if they'd like to redo that Rich Rod hire or if Minnesota would like Glen Mason back.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 7:03 PM Post
Wonder which would have gotten better odds a weak ago the blowout of Nebraska or being hired out of the blue? Going after Chyrst or Doreon seems like the calm as few waves as possible approach for Alvarez. Dave certainly looks really good after what he did with the Huskies, but maybe Chryst has made some new in roads out east?

Trying to figure out Bielema's rationale. Facilities seems like a pretty weak reason. Going for the short term contract win, following 3 New Year's day bowls his stock would likely never be higher? And if he can replicate that success maybe then he gets in line for a really coveted job, otherwise he makes more over the next years? That's the best I can do.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 7:54 PM Post
LouisEly said:
or even Barry Alvarez going 5-7 in 2001 and 6-loss seasons in 2002 and 2003. Anyone remember losing 63-32 to Indiana in 2001... at home? Three straight Rose Bowls, even if the third was opportunistic, is quite an accomplishment.

Those 2001-2003 seasons had more to do with losing 5 scholarships per year due to the Shoebox scandal than a poor coaching job by Alvarez. That killed his momentum after the two Rose Bowl wins. Also, it wasn't just this year's Rose Bowl that was opportunistic for Bielema. Do you really think that if Ohio State hadn't imploded before last season and the Sandusky scandal hadn't hit during the middle of the season for Penn State that the Badgers would have been in the title game, because i don't.

All that said Bielema was a good coach, but really he had about as easy of transition for any first time coach in recent history. Alvarez ensured him success in his first year through a seamless transition and was a constant mentor to him. Now he is all on his own in the most competitive conference in the NCAA at a school in the part of the country where he has had no ties and has to recruit in an area foreign to him where some of the best coaches in the country are firmly entrenched. I wish Brett the best but I don't see this going well for him.

Posted: December 04, 2012, 8:02 PM Post
Anyone remember losing 63-32 to Indiana in 2001... at home?

Ha! That was the first, last, and only Badger game I've ever been to.

From the outside as a general college football ignorer (is Brent Moss still on the team?), I've never been all too impressed with this guy. At least with the consistency of the NCAA, he'll have to sit out a year since he jumped to another program. Oh, wait...

Seriously though, why do the athletic programs still allow poaching of head coaches under contract? You'd think there have been enough that have been burned by now to make a case beyond common sense.

Posted: December 05, 2012, 2:11 AM Post
I don't know about the difference in football facilities but UW spends more on athletics than Arkansas does (not that Arkansas is a pauper). In fact, UW spends the 9th most money of any school in the country on their athletic program. In football, UW spent $24 million in 2010, the same amount as Arkansas. It's not like UW doesn't spend money of their programs.

Posted: December 05, 2012, 6:42 AM Post
burnzy24 said:
LouisEly said:
or even Barry Alvarez going 5-7 in 2001 and 6-loss seasons in 2002 and 2003. Anyone remember losing 63-32 to Indiana in 2001... at home? Three straight Rose Bowls, even if the third was opportunistic, is quite an accomplishment.

Those 2001-2003 seasons had more to do with losing 5 scholarships per year due to the Shoebox scandal than a poor coaching job by Alvarez. That killed his momentum after the two Rose Bowl wins. Also, it wasn't just this year's Rose Bowl that was opportunistic for Bielema. Do you really think that if Ohio State hadn't imploded before last season and the Sandusky scandal hadn't hit during the middle of the season for Penn State that the Badgers would have been in the title game, because i don't.

If you really think last year's team was that bad, I'd suggest you go back and take another look at how much they just destroyed everyone, except OSU and MSU. The defense had some struggles, but that offense was simply video-game esque.

Sad to see him go. He ended up with a winning record (and a fluky Rose Bowl appearance) on a team that only had 9 seniors, and had (has? -- not sure who might bail now) probably the best recruiting class ever at UW coming in next year (not to mention 2014).
I will never understand the criticism of him, and that Barry get's none. Alvarez was a terrible in game coach, way worse than Beliema ever was, and he had a 4-year stretch where they finished 5th, 8th, 8th, and 7th in the big10. But, shhhh. BARRY IS A GOLDEN GOD!

The odds of us finding someone better to come and coach at WI for less than 4M a year is slim to none.

Posted: December 05, 2012, 7:49 AM Post
Baldkin said:
If you really think last year's team was that bad, I'd suggest you go back and take another look at how much they just destroyed everyone, except OSU and MSU. The defense had some struggles, but that offense was simply video-game esque.

I never said they were "that bad" last year I said they were opportunistic. Penn State was undefeated in the Big Ten and ranked 12th before Paterno was fired and the season went down in flames. Same thing goes for Ohio State and Terrelle Pryor bolting before the season. Had neither of those things happend I'm willing to guess the Badgers probably would have lost one of those two games and then would not have been in the BTCG. Now neither were the Badger's or Bielema's fault but it is still a fact that they directly benefited from monumental implosions by two of their biggest division rivals. So yes, last year's Rose Bowl was the definition of opportunistic.

Posted: December 05, 2012, 6:13 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
Interesting post by MJLiverock on the BF Off-Topic thread on Bielema-->ARK

MJLiverock said:
This morning a co worker whom I know knows a number of former Badger coaches and has some decent connections in the athletic department said he was hearing there was a bit of a falling out, mainly over assistant coaching salaries. He said he heard that BB was tire of losing people to other programs for bigger dollars and then trying to replace them on a shoestring budget. The effort of replacing the 6 guys last year and missing out on targets over money was a problem, and that the O-Line coach was sort of forced upon him by BA as an example of a guy who would come here for the money that BA liked. Since he was a BA guy and not necessarily a BB guy this is why he was let go so quickly and replace with essentially a grad assistant. Guys like Bostad were gone even if Chryst hadn't left because the money was too much elsewhere for him.

This jibbed with a Tweet I saw from the Cleveland Plain Dealer about the the money being raked in by the B10 needs to spread around to the assistants who make about half what SEC counterparts do.

Now I see after work today that there are quotes from Bielema that assistant pay was a problem. A Wis. State Journal article also says Bielema could have gotten a bigger bump in base pay but he wanted to be sure there was a good pool of money to pay assistants.

All of this leads me to believe my friend's comments are getting close to the mark for at least some of the reasons for his leaving.

As far as leaving before the bowl game, this is standard practice for any college coach, the new school wants them on campus and recruiting ASAP as do they because signing day is in late Jan./early Feb. The old school wants them gone so they can get the new coach on campus to try and hold together whatever verbals they have and salvage something of a recruiting class. This is my big fear, defections will come fast and furious leading to a bad class and then taking the new coach a couple years to get his act going unless he already has a big name or contacts so there isn't a lull in recruits which snowballs into WI being back to just another mediocre school competing with MAC schools for talent.

I also saw on blogs that Arkansas offered the Boise State Coach and the TCU coach deals but were turned down so I think you can cross them off the list. Peterson at Boise is rumored to be just waiting for Chip Kelley to leave Oregon and he will head there while the TCU coach may just want to stay in Texas or has eyes on the UT job if Mack Brown gets canned soon.

As for the Bevell comments I just don't see any excitement for that hire. He may have been on the staff when Favre was QB but I don't think he was coaching him. Seattle's offense now is either run or have Wilson do a sandlot scramble to make something happen and isn't exactly consistent or viewed as high powered.

"Thank you, Senator... a thoughtful and lucid answer. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!" -- Moderator Morbo

Posted: December 05, 2012, 7:29 PM Post
Alvarez has agreed to coach the Rose Bowl.

Posted: December 05, 2012, 8:29 PM Post
Sounds like Boise State's Petersen is interested and could interview as soon as Monday http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/updated-barry-alvarez-to-coach-uw-in-the-rose-bowl/article_343b5b3c-3f30-11e2-b159-0019bb2963f4.html

Posted: December 05, 2012, 9:49 PM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
burnzy24 said:

This would be outstanding.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 64 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply