Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 153 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2014 NFL Draft Thread- 1) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama/2)Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State/3a) Khyri Thornton, DT, Southern Miss/3b) Richard Rodgers, TE, Cal/4) Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona St/5a) Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State/5b) JARED ABBREDERIS!

Re: 2014 NFL Draft Thread- 1) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama/2)Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State/3a) Khyri Thornton, DT, Southern Miss/3b) Richard Rodgers, TE, Cal/4) Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona St/5a) Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State/5b) JARED ABBREDERIS!
Posted: May 10, 2014, 4:05 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Congrats to Beau Allen! Philly in the 7th.

Re: 2014 NFL Draft Thread- 1) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama/2)Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State/3a) Khyri Thornton, DT, Southern Miss/3b) Richard Rodgers, TE, Cal/4) Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona St/5a) Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State/5b) JARED ABBREDERIS!
Posted: May 10, 2014, 4:14 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
We (probably) finish with Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St in the 7th

Posted: May 10, 2014, 5:16 PM Post

GIF Master
Hey, guess what? Experts on ESPN compared our two white WR picks to white WR's in the NFL.

Posted: May 10, 2014, 5:16 PM Post

GIF Master
And seeing Michael Sam get drafted was fantastic.

Posted: May 10, 2014, 5:23 PM Post
dlk9s said:
Hey, guess what? Experts on ESPN compared our two white WR picks to white WR's in the NFL.

That bothers me to no end. Abbredaris (6'1") has been compared to Wes Welker (5'9"), Jordy Nelson (6'3") and every white receiver in between. It's just lazy analysis.

Posted: May 10, 2014, 5:37 PM Post
Because optimism costs nothing I say Abbredaris goes on to have a Driver like career. By the end of his rookie season I bet he is on the field as a blocking receiver leading ultimately to some big decoy like plays on play action.

Posted: May 10, 2014, 5:49 PM Post

GIF Master
Point Beer Is Best said:
dlk9s said:

That bothers me to no end. Abbredaris (6'1") has been compared to Wes Welker (5'9"), Jordy Nelson (6'3") and every white receiver in between. It's just lazy analysis.

Kiper said Abbrederis could go in and learn from Jordy. Bill Polian said he compares him to Brandon Stokely and Wes Welker.

They all compared the last guy to Jordy.

Posted: May 10, 2014, 5:53 PM Post

GIF Master
UDFA signed so far:

LB Joe Thomas, SC State
QB Chase Rettig, Boston College
RB Ryan White, Auburn
G John Fullington, Washington State
RB Rajion Neal, Tennessee
OLB Jay Elliott, Toledo
ILB Jake Doughty, Utah State
RB James Sims, Kansas
DT Mike Pennel, Colorado State

Posted: May 10, 2014, 6:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
My first comparison for Abbr was Driver also. Not blazing fast but deceptively so. Good routes.

Posted: May 10, 2014, 9:32 PM Post
Every year there are surprises as to who went undrafted, but I think the biggest surprise for me is Jackson Jeffcoat of Texas. Last season recorded 22 TFLs, 13 sacks, an INT, 2 FFs, and a blocked kick, and has 60 TFLs and 27.5 sacks for his career. Ran a 4.63 at the combine, but didn't do well in the bench and isn't known for his strength. That's a lot of production in a premiere conference.

Pennel is the big backup NT that they need, but I would have liked to have seen them bring in another. Supposedly TT talked with Beau Allen at the EWS game, and maybe he was targeting Allen with his 7th. They got good WRs, but I don't know that they needed to draft three of them. Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, assume Adams, and then one or two of Abbrederis, Janis, Harper, White, Dorsey. Janis compares favorably to Jordy Nelson not because they are white but because they are the exact same size (6'3", 217) and Janis is very fast (ran 4.42 at the combine, faster than Nelson) and put up 20 reps on the bench (strong enough to block). I hate to say this, but I almost hope one of Abbrederis/Janis gets hurt and gets stashed away on IR because if cut I think someone claims them and they won't make it to the practice squad, and that's a wasted pick IMO.

I'm not real excited about this draft. They got good players, but my concerns are:

1) At this point only have five safeties on the roster, including/assuming Hyde. (I guess Bush is more of a safety than a corner, but he's not a good one of either.)
2) Abbrederis can return punts, but they did not to my knowledge address kick returns.
3) Only NT was a UDFA who was suspended twice at ASU (not following minor rules & Twitter rant) and transferred to a D-2 school but did not dominate.
3b) Two fifth round picks, why not use one to move up 4-5 spots in the 3rd to get Louis Nix? You know the Jets & Raiders would have moved back to pick up extra picks.
4) Doubtful there will be room for all three WRs drafted (will have to carry six, cutting another position short).
4b) The draft was deep at WR so you knew there would be good ones available on day 3. Is Adams that good that he warrants being picked in the 2nd instead of addressing another position? Maybe the Packers know that one of Cobb/Nelson won't be extended.

Adams is basically James Jones with more leaping ability to win jump balls, so it's not like it was a bad pick. And lining up 5 wide with Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, and Abbrederis... no team has the DB depth to cover that. So long as they can protect Rodgers.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 7:04 AM Post
IMHO, the wasted 3rd rounder is a NT. In no way does he look like a defensive end. I've watched the tape and he looks lost in space once he even beats the OL. Doesn't look like he has much of a 2nd gear/burst and I was very unimpressed. I also agree that there was one too many WR's taken and Abby has a fight to even make the roster. I don't think you could stash any of them on the PS without being claimed on somebody else's 53-man, as LouisEly stated. The SF 49ers and Pittsburg Steelers had stellar drafts and took just about every player I was hoping that we were looking at. With the SF49ers drafting behind us, I dont know how that happens. I like what we did at WR and the first round, but I think we also failed to address ILB adequately.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 8:09 AM Post
dlk9s said:
Point Beer Is Best said:
dlk9s said:

Kiper said Abbrederis could go in and learn from Jordy. Bill Polian said he compares him to Brandon Stokely and Wes Welker.

They all compared the last guy to Jordy.

The Jordy comparison for Jannis is actually valid because they really do look alike.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 8:14 AM Post
If you are referring to Martin and Borland, they were drafted before the Packers pick in the 3rd round. I like Borland, but he isn't a 3-down LB and I'm very concerned about his ability to cover TEs in a league where they are almost all 6'5" or taller and run faster than Borland. I don't think Ward is worth a 1st round pick. Some say that Bradford will make a better ILB in the pros than OLB, so maybe that's the plan.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 11:49 AM Post
TT loves his competition at WR, for better or worse.

I was hoping to feel more comfortable with our defensive line reinforcements as well, but I think Thornton shows some good promise, actually. I see the concerns about awareness, but he's big and super quick off the ball, so I think he can be disruptive in the middle. He seems like another Jerel Worthy to me, hopefully one of the two develop into starting caliber lineman. But mainly, after this draft, I think we are relying a lot on Josh Boyd this year to have a productive season.

Linsley reminds me of a stronger Scott Wells, which I like. Bradford could be a great value in the 4th - hopefully they move him to the inside or all around in subpackages. I'm waiting-and-seeing on Rodgers.

Overall, I give the draft a B. I don't think we drafted any Pro-Bowlers, except for maybe the WR who have upside and will look great with Rodgers throwing to them. That said, I think this class should hit the "three starters" quota with HaHa, one of Adams/Abbrederis, and one of Bradford/Rodgers/Linsley. Janis and Thornton are the biggest wildcards that could make or break the class. It seems like TT reached on Thornton, so I hope he saw what most didn't and the upside is really there.

Oh, and I think Demetri Goodson, if he can make the team, has a good chance of returning kicks and punts.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 12:08 PM Post
2) Abbrederis can return punts, but they did not to my knowledge address kick returns.

The proper way to address kick returns is to put a guy back there that's good at taking a knee and watching the ball go over him.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: May 11, 2014, 1:40 PM Post
jazzytrav said:

The proper way to address kick returns is to put a guy back there that's good at taking a knee and watching the ball go over him.

That is so far from the truth. Maybe in September that works or indoors, but in the NFC North, the touchbacks go waaaaay down for all games played outdoors, north of Cincinnati. Field position is crucial in outdoor games and the Packers have been giving away too much of it. The ball just doesn't carry in the cold and windy conditions that our strategy shouldn't be to just take a touchback and call it a day.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 4:41 PM Post
Hyde was fine returning kicks last year. Abby also obviously is a candidate. He did it at UW early in his career.

I can't say I'm overly concerned with who is returning kicks.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 5:53 PM Post
Ayt said:
I can't say I'm overly concerned with who is returning kicks.

Agreed. If Flynn, Tolzien, or Ponder is your QB, KR is a much bigger factor than if your offense can effectively move the ball and score points sans fluke.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 6:45 PM Post

GIF Master
I love that two of the kids have been lifelong Packers fans. What an incredible dream come true.

Posted: May 11, 2014, 7:37 PM Post
Abby assigned #84

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 153 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply