[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2014 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

2014 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

Posted: March 21, 2014, 8:28 PM Post
Welp, let's get at it. If I'm correct, GB will get two comp picks for free agent losses - Greg Jennings and Erik Walden. I'm guessing a 4th for Jennings and a 6th for Walden.

1st Round (#21): Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU - described as a scheme-versatile LB who can play all three downs. Played OLB in college, but many feel he could easily transition to an ILB in the pros. Excellent pass-rusher, very good in coverage (7 career INTs and 19 career PBUs), has blitzing ability for 3-4 ILB, and could play OLB if injuries crop up. Not the highest upside, but very high floor and could play for a long time.
If he's still available: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State - I've warmed up to the idea of drafting him, but I think he did too good at the combine and their pro day, to the point where I think he'll be gone by here. I'm a little concerned about his height and being able to cover TEs, but he has the speed to cover RBs out of the backfield.
Don't be surprised if it's: Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt - a big part of me wants to say forget the 3-4 and overpaying/overdrafting a NT and go with a 4-3; a DL of Peppers/Jones/Neal/Perry at DE and Donald/Raji/Worthy/Daniels at NT would be the best and deepest DL in the league.

2nd round: Antone Exum, S, Virginia Tech - a bit of an injury risk, Exum played FS his first two years before switching to CB last year. Very smart, good ball skills, adjusts well in the air. If he was healthy he would go higher.
If he's still available: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt - big (6'3", 215), big hands, fast, productive, some return experience. Depth at WR didn't stop TT from drafting Jordy Nelson, and look how that turned out. Cobb and Nelson are free agents after next season. If he's there, grab him and don't look back.
Don't be surprised if it's: Troy Nicklas, TE, Notre Dame - Quarless came back, but Nicklas is a big, raw TE who switched from DE in college. They have the athletic TEs in Quarless and Bostic, but having a 6'6", 270 target would make Rodgers smile. Finley supposedly is "months" from being ready to sign with anyone, if he can return at all. The Packers haven't had a lot of luck with players returning from neck injuries.

3rd round: Russell Bodine, C, North Carolina - "plays with vinegar"; strong, nasty junior who came out early, has some experience at and can play guard. TT likes OL versatility. With ED-S departing, all they have is Tretter who missed all of last year and is switching positions.
If Matt Flynn isn't resigned: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois - if Flynn isn't back they will need to draft a QB sooner rather than later. Garoppolo has quickest release of any QB in the draft; profile reads very similar to Rodgers when he was drafted.
Don't be surprised if it's: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska - they resigned Shields, but Williams is a free agent after next year and SJ-B has the size (6'3", 215) that can shut-down receivers, a-la Seattle's DBs. Never hurts to copy the Super Bowl champs.

4th round (own): Morgan Breslin, OLB, USC - another injury risk, Breslin had an outstanding junior campaign (19 TFL, 13 sacks, 4 PBUs) before getting hurt his senior year. A juco transfer, in 18 games at USC racked up 27.5 TFLs and 17.5 sacks. Need depth at OLB.
If they haven't drafted a safety yet: Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford - a true centerfielder, he's big, assignment-sure, rangy, and has ball skills. Really like the "assignment-sure" part - just what the Packers need. They don't need a hard-hitting missile - they need someone who won't screw up deep assignment.
Don't be surprised if it's: Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada - teams have worked him out at almost every position including center; athletic, experience at LT but could play G or C. TT has drafted an OL in the 4th or 5th round in 7 of his 9 drafts.

4th round (comp): Taj Boyd, QB, Clemson - TT has said he's looking to draft a QB sooner rather than later; good arm strength, can fling it deep, good football character. A little short, but Russell Wilson showed what that means. Again, never hurts to copy the Super Bowl champs.
If he's still available: DeAndre Coleman, DE, Cal - Prototypical 3-4 DE at 6'5", 315, with long arms. Can hold up blockers and bat down some passes.
Don't be surprised if it's: Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio - good size (6'0", 206), good speed (sub-4.50 at pro day), great return skills - both kick return and INT return (8 INTs last two years returned for 184 yards). The Pack doesn't want Cobb returning kicks anymore.

5th round: Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt - when the Packers have a position of need, they draft two players at that position. Ladler had five INTs and forced five fumbles his senior year.
If he's still available: Ryan Groy, OL, Wisconsin - versatile and fairly athletic, Groy played G at UW but also spent time at C and a little at LT. Groy may actually be a better LT than OG; he was regarded as the best LT on UW last year but played G so the Badgers could get their five best OL on the field.
Don't be surprised if it's: a wide receiver - WR is very deep this year, and one could easily be here who shouldn't be. Maybe it's Abbrederis who also adds value as a PR/KR, maybe it's Shaq Evans of UCLA, maybe it's Cody Lattimer of Indiana, but my pick is L'Damian Washington of Missouri - tall (6'4"), fast (4.46), explosive big-play threat.

6th round (own): James Morris, ILB, Iowa - TT likes those Iowa guys, and a strong case could be made that he deserved B1G Ten defensive POY more than Borland - 106 tackles, 17 TFL, 7 sacks, 4 INTs, 3 PBUs.
If he's still available: Nikita Whitlock, OLB/FB, Wake Forest - had 9 sacks and 18 TFL playing as a 5'10", 260lb nose tackle. Teams have been working him out at OLB and FB; ran in the mid 4.7's on his pro day and put up 42 reps. Height is an issue, but a similar-sized Elvis Dumervil has made quite a career for himself in the NFL. Could go a lot higher than this.[/b]
Don't be surprised if it's: Richard Rodgers, TE, Cal - they brought back Quarless, but it doesn't look like Finley will be back. Rodgers bounced back between WR and TE, but could be another athletic TE option.

6th round (comp): a nose tackle - Ryan Carrethers of Arkansas State is big and strong, but could be gone by here; Robert Thomas of Arkansas would have gone higher but is recovering from a broken bone in his leg (put up 37 reps at pro day), had good numbers in half a season in the SEC, and supposedly will be ready to work out by early April; and Beau Allen of Wisconsin supposedly talked with TT at the East-West shrine game. Either way, they need a backup.

7th round: Taylor Martinez, S/WR, Nebraska - outstanding athlete, but won't stick at QB. Safety is the QB of the defense, and Eric Crouch transitioned to safety fairly well, however Martinez is even more athletic than Crouch.
If they still haven't drafted a second safety - Jerry "Boo Boo" Gates, S, Bowling Green - first team All-MAC safety last two years, has excellent return skills and set a school record for kickoff return yardage in 2011.
Don't be surprised if it's: Austin Franklin, WR, New Mexico St. - speedy WR with return skills and experience; a little small, but very productive and they don't want Cobb returning kicks anymore.

Priority free agents:
Jonathan Krause, WR, Vanderbilt - smallish but fast, lots of punt return experience
D.J. Coles, WR/TE, Virginia Tech - had injury issues, but ran sub 4.5 on his pro day - excellent for his size - and looked good catching passes. Could be a tough matchup for defenses.
Harold "Gator" Hoskins, TE, Marshall - on the short side, but caught 50 passes for 850 yards and 15 TDs as a senior
Karl Williams, FB, Utah - ran fast at his pro day (4.55-ish) for his size, looked great catching passes
Stephen Houston, RB/FB, Indiana - in three seasons rushed for 2,300 yards and caught 65 passes for 650 yards; built like a brick outhouse (6'0", 230 lbs)
Trey Watts, RB, Tulsa - 3rd down back, rushed for 3500 yards in his career, caught 130 passes for 1300 yards, and returned two kicks and one punt for a TD
Matt Paradis, C, Boise St. - need someone to replace ED-S
Carlos Fields, ILB, Winston-Salem St. - fast small-school LB, says GB and two other teams have expressed interest
Jayrone Elliott, OLB, Toledo - some depth needed here, 9 sacks as a senior
Ethan Hemer, DE, Wisconsin - if he can get back up to his junior playing weight of 300+ he can be a good 3-4 DE at 6'5", 300lbs.
Sam Longo, OG, Cincinnati - put up 47 reps at his pro day
Brett Van Sloten, OT, Iowa - TT likes those Iowa guys
Donte Rumph, NT, Kentucky - depth is needed, decent production for SEC
Ty Zimmerman, S, Kansas St. - they need to solve the problem at FS

Last edited by LouisEly on May 07, 2014, 7:29 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Re: 2014 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

Posted: March 22, 2014, 8:33 AM Post
If Kyle Van Noy is our first rounder, color me unimpressed. If we go BPA like I expect, there's going to be a handful of higher-rated defensive players on the board, so TT will really have to love Van Noy. I also think ILB is fairly deep, with Moseley (who I think has a good chance of being available), Van Noy, Skov, Borland, Bradford, Smallwood, etc.

I also think Aaron Donald will be taken early by some team that overvalues combine results, but he very well could be the BPA. That said, he's shorter and considered a 4-3 DT as you mentioned, and I would really like TT to start drafting better scheme fits.

One more gripe - I don't think Jimmy Garoppolo will make it past the middle of the second round.

That said, nice work. I would not hate that draft overall, though it seems DL-weak unless we bring back Jolly.

Posted: March 22, 2014, 9:52 AM Post
You're right, DL was a little light. Forgot about Coleman who I was looking at in the mid-rounds. And I don't know if it was clear, but drafting Donald was predicated on switching to the 4-3 (which I think they are better suited for).

Everything I read on Moseley says he won't be there, but even if he is, I think Van Noy is better. Skov didn't participate in the combine or Stanford's pro day, which raises some flags. Smallwood didn't crack 5.00 at the combine; I really wonder about his level of competition making him look much better than he is. Borland is/was a great college ILB, but comes with an injury risk and I wonder about his height + short arms and being able to cover TEs in the pros. And Bradford is an OLB. [smile]

Posted: March 24, 2014, 7:33 AM Post
LouisEly said:
Everything I read on Moseley says he won't be there, but even if he is, I think Van Noy is better. Skov didn't participate in the combine or Stanford's pro day, which raises some flags. Smallwood didn't crack 5.00 at the combine; I really wonder about his level of competition making him look much better than he is. Borland is/was a great college ILB, but comes with an injury risk and I wonder about his height + short arms and being able to cover TEs in the pros. And Bradford is an OLB. [smile]

I just made a post about Ryan Shazier in the "21st Overall" thread. He's another guy I'd probably take over Van Noy. Again, not that I dislike Van Noy, I would just be happier with him as a 2nd round pick.

Posted: March 24, 2014, 3:35 PM Post
sbrylski said:

I just made a post about Ryan Shazier in the "21st Overall" thread. He's another guy I'd probably take over Van Noy. Again, not that I dislike Van Noy, I would just be happier with him as a 2nd round pick.

2 of the 5 at CBS have the Packers taking Shazier. I'm pretty much on a "Anybody But Hageman" line right now. Though I would prefer an impact safety, I'll glad take ILB too.

Posted: March 24, 2014, 4:41 PM Post
Wow, we were awarded 3rd and 5th round compensation picks. Very nice.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/201 ... -picks.pdf

With four picks in the first three rounds, and five on day three, TT is loaded with ammo.

Posted: May 07, 2014, 9:02 PM Post
I don't feel like completely editing my first post, so here's my final prediction. I think Trader Ted will trade down a couple of times.

1st (#21) - trade down, select Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
2nd - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
3rd (via trade) - Antone Exum, S, Virginia Tech
3rd (own) - trade down
3rd (comp) - DeAndre Coleman, DE, Cal
4th (via trade) - Russell Bodine, C/G, UNC
4th (own) - Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
5th (via trade) - L'Damian Washington, WR, Missouri
5th (own) - trade down
5th (comp) - Morgan Breslin, OLB, USC
6th (via trade) - Jerry "Boo Boo" Gates, S, Bowling Green
6th (own) - Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
7th (via trade) - Brock Jensen, QB, North Dakota St.
7th (own) - James Morris, ILB, Iowa

I would not be surprised if Nikita Whitlock is somewhere in the 5th-7th rounds, but for now I'll slot him as a UDFA as nobody is talking about him.

UDFA: Nikita Whitlock, FB/OLB, Wake Forest; D.J. Coles, WR/TE, Virginia Tech; Donte Rumph, NT, Kentucky; Jonathan Krause, WR, Vanderbilt; Tyler Starr, OLB, South Dakota; Nick Addison, S, Bethune-Cookman; Stephen Houston, RB/FB, Indiana; Trey Watts, RB, Tulsa; Carlos Fields, ILB, Winston-Salem State

Posted: May 08, 2014, 9:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
Nick Addison, S, Bethune-Cookman

that last Nick from Bethune-Cookman worked out pretty well. [smile]

Posted: May 09, 2014, 12:00 PM Post
day 2 predictions

R2 TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS WASHINGTON
R3 C MARCUS MARTIN
R3 WR JARED ABBREDERIS