Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

With the 21st pick in the NFL Draft.....

Re: With the 21st pick in the NFL Draft.....

Posted: April 20, 2014, 2:49 PM Post
the packers may be in a tough spot at #21 from the mocks that i have seen.

there are some options they will have

they could replace jones with someone like bradin cooks
they could get secondary help with someone like darqueze denard
reach for safety help with jimmie ward
get LB help with CJ Mosley

I think they are in a good place to trade down, unless someone falls to them at 21

Posted: April 20, 2014, 5:21 PM Post
Everything out there right now suggests that this is one of the deepest draft classes in recent memory and that "everyone will be trying to trade down". Which sort of makes me think that if everyone is trying to trade down, you have a lot more leverage in talks to move up. Last year, the Dolphins didn't have to give up much to move all the way up to #3. That being said, I don't think that's what TT will do. I think the most trade action will occur in the last third of the draft, as the teams that passed on QB's in the top ten will trade back into the first round to get their signal caller. Holding the 5th year option on first rounders is pretty valuable.

Posted: April 20, 2014, 8:08 PM Post
"Holding the 5th year option on first rounders is pretty valuable."

This is also why I don't think we'll see TT trade out of the 1st round anymore. Maybe on occasion, for the right deal, but that extra year can be a big deal, especially for someone that believes he drafts well.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: April 21, 2014, 10:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
But if you draft well, wouldn't you want two people for 4 years instead of 1 person for 5?

I don't see anyone in particular that is worth trading up for that fits a real need. Perhaps TT sees someone out there that is "special" and you go up to get that person.

Otherwise, I'd happily take a high 2nd+3rd pick for our 1st and pickup guys we need in the area they are slotted to go (S, C, MLB, TE...)

I did see one mock draft recently that had 2 safeties go in the top 12 picks of the draft (including Ward). Plus Mosley and Nix went before the Packers. I was pretty shocked to see the safeties go so high in the draft and that Ward was one of them. I had heard rumblings that all 3 of the top safeties might slip to the second round.

Posted: April 22, 2014, 7:01 AM Post
The mocks that make me nervous are the ones that show all (or most) of the QB-needy teams passing on QB's in hopes they can land one in the 2nd round or by trading back into the first. On draft day, I cheer everytime a QB is picked in round 1, because it means the pool of players to choose from for us gets deeper.

Posted: April 22, 2014, 8:30 PM Post

GIF Master
The Packers should just draft all the QBs and unload them at a premium to desperate teams. ALL THE QBS.

Posted: May 07, 2014, 6:55 AM Post
At this point, I think I can get on board nearly 100% with the "Best Player Available" strategy, with the only exceptions being QB & RB. I could accept any other position being drafted if I could be convinced that was the top player remaining on the board. In that regard, fans may be upset (again) that Ted doesn't address an immediate need in the first round, but I'm definitely OK with it because we've seen time and time again where that strategy pays off in the long run over drafting for an immediate need. An example would drafting Gilbert or Dennard over Clinton-Dix or Pryor if any combination of those 4 are there. I would pick those CB's over those safeties and roll the dice with Hyde (or trade up for Ward, or draft Buchanon) to fill in the other safety spot.

None of the safeties are "elite" this year, but may go in the first round. I'm not sure I like the idea of getting one of those guys and thinking your problems are solved and neither ends up being an upgrade on what Micah Hyde would do if converted to safety. But the Rams, Bears and Ravens might make that a moot point since they could take Clinton-Dix and Pryor off the board before 21. I would not be cool with them trading up to get either of those guys at this point.

Ted loves USC players - what if he went with Marquise Lee at WR? He put up huge numbers two years ago with a competent QB. It would go against Ted's previous philosophy on WR which is to draft them almost exclusively in the 2nd (Murphy, Jennings, Nelson, Cobb). Maybe we see a repeat of what he did several years ago and he makes a trade back into the 30's so another team gets their QB at 21 and he takes a guy like Lee there and picks up 1/2 next year.

I have a feeling that based on Ted's past, he will look to draft the best big-body athlete at #21 which tends to be OL, DL, or LB. In his 9 drafts, he's taken 9 1st rounders (0 in 2008, 2 in 2009). Those picks were QB, LB, DL, DL, LB, OL, OL, LB, DL. There is definitely a trend there, with Rodgers being the only first round selection that wasn't one of those three positions.

Posted: May 07, 2014, 12:28 PM Post
I've read enough pluses and minuses on the players expected to be available at 21 that the only way I would be disappointed with the pick is if Pryor (or Dix) is on the board when the Packers are on the clock, and they still trade down.

Barring that nightmare scenario, if a trade down gives the Packers extra ammunition to grab one of the top centers (including Martin from USC) in the late 2nd / early 3rd, I'm all for it.

Posted: May 07, 2014, 7:31 PM Post
I have the same opinion today that I did in January. I'll be happy with ANY impact player on defense, excluding defensive line. Mosley, Denard, Dix, Pryor are my top 4.

Posted: May 08, 2014, 12:41 AM Post
At this point I just want someone who can tackle, possibly with an emphasis on tackling a qb running towards a first down on third down.

NFL Blitz has better referees.

Posted: May 08, 2014, 9:23 AM Post
young guns said:
At this point I just want someone who can tackle, possibly with an emphasis on tackling a qb running towards a first down on third down.

I agree, but I would flip it around. The speed comes first. I just want someone that can get there and slow him down. If there are a few of those, then pick the best tackler.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: May 08, 2014, 10:56 AM Post
I would love it if they took a linebacker in the 1st round. I'm sick of the middle linebackers being such liabilities. That said, a safety or wide receiver would be nice too.

Posted: May 08, 2014, 6:34 PM Post
My big board:

1. Barr
2. Shazier
3. Fuller

No safety or Mosley in the first, please.

Posted: May 08, 2014, 8:56 PM Post
Don't know if any of those were on our radar at #21 if they had been available, but being that they weren't, it's hard to be upset with the Clinton-Dix pick. Need meets BPA. Who else would have been a better pick at that spot that was still available?

Posted: May 08, 2014, 9:36 PM Post
I think the only other guy I was interested in was Dennard. Burnett/Clinton-Dix could give us the kind of safety combo we were robbed of when Collins went down.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: May 09, 2014, 7:10 AM Post
I was quite pleased with the Ha Ha pick. If he can meet his potential, and if Burnett comes back to form, the sting of losing Nick Collins might finally be lessened.

Posted: May 09, 2014, 9:10 AM Post
After the linebackers went Dix was the one guy I thought was still worth hanging around for I was just surprised he lasted that long. I'm hoping for Borland in the second, since we really need more play making on the defense in general. We can find the TE, WR and Line depth later.

My best hope on the Minnesota front is that Adrian slows down here due to age real soon.

Posted: May 09, 2014, 10:29 AM Post
I am happy with Dix. It is a good pick. in the 2nd round I would like Amaro but I doubt he lasts. 107 catches last year. Borland would be great too. Or I have been hearling a lot about that Center from USC - Marcus Martin. The other name I heard about was DT – Ra’Shede Hageman – Minnesota.

Hopefully whoever the Packers take is successful.

Posted: May 09, 2014, 11:10 AM Post
Regardless of what I "want," I'm going to guess Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. Speed, size, and ball skills...that's a Ted kind of WR.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: May 09, 2014, 11:56 AM Post
Calling my shots: Marcus Martin in the 2nd; C.J. Fedorowicz and Allen Robinson in the 3rd
(...then back to improving the defense on Day 3).

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply