Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 116 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State, 7a. Andrew Datko, OT, FSU 7b. BJ Coleman, QB, Chattanooga

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread: Nick Perry, LB, USC

Posted: April 26, 2012, 8:40 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Yes, a bit of a surprise. Teams loved Zeitler's versatility, though.

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread: Packers On The Clock (Zeitler to Cincy)

Posted: April 26, 2012, 8:41 PM Post
I liked Branch a little more, but Perry will be a good pick.

Posted: April 26, 2012, 9:10 PM Post
I like the Perry pick. Some solid coaching and he could be a beast.

Posted: April 26, 2012, 9:31 PM Post
You can't really judge a guy on a few minutes of video, but my impression of Perry from what I've seen is he's solid. He doesn't look overly fast in regards to on-field speed, but he looks athletic and like he has a pretty good pass rush motor. Anyone with his type of athleticism will help.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 12:19 AM Post
im ok with the perry pick assuming that they go they go martin or iloka in round 2.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 1:38 AM Post
I'm 99.9% sure Ted will get a safety on Day 2.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 8:05 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
There is a lot of really good talent still on the board that would really help the Packers- Branch, Worthy, Still, Konz, Upshaw to name a few. The value chart suggests that the Packers would have to package basically their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move up substantially (or they could package a pick for next year), but I'd strongly consider making a play to move up if a couple of those guys fall. Addressing OLB AND DL with guys projected as 1st rounders could help this defense almost as much as when we traded up to get Clay.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 8:36 AM Post
I really hope they do that peavy. I believe the packers have the most draft picks left now of any team since Cleveland made thier trade with MN. We only have a few glaring needs right now on defense and even after a trade the Pack would still have pleanty of picks left to gain depth in other areas.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 9:10 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Lots of chatter this morning about a Packers/Browns trade involving Colt McCoy....

Posted: April 27, 2012, 9:30 AM Post
I agree with Peavey as well. There are plenty of guys (my hopes are for Worthy) that could definitely help the Packers next year. Yeah, the cost would be high, but we have all those comp picks and if we lose a third round pick to move up and get someone like Worthy, I'm all for it. Our comp picks are just after our normal 4th, so that's not a big deal to get rid of, we'd still have 2 fourths.

I'm also all for a Colt McCoy trade. He's been beat up, but if it's just a mid-low round pick (which we have plenty of), whats the harm? We need another QB and I'm much more comfortable with McCoy than Harrell. He's still young and is likely better than any QB we'd draft with that pick anyway.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 10:31 AM Post
Colt McCoy for one of our four 7ths? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 10:40 AM Post
The rumor I'm hearing is it would be a 6th and one of our four 7th round picks for him (not sure which one). Trading a 7th isn't a big deal obviously, especially with 4 of them. So really it's the 6th. Giving up a 6th round pick to get a young, solid backup QB seems great to me. Harrell leaves much to be desired I think and we're going to need another QB anyway. I'd have much more faith in McCoy as a backup than someone we draft anywhere in rounds 4-6. We'll see if it actually happens though.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 10:46 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Yeah, when you look at it like we're likely going to use one of those picks to draft a QB anyway, it really is little or nothing for us to give up for McCoy, who makes less than 600k in each of the next two years. I'm completely on board if McCarthy and Clements think they can work with him.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 2:42 PM Post
I've figured out the key to liking the Nick Perry pick: don't subconsciously compare him to Clay Matthews.

First of all, and obviously, Matthews is easily a top-5 OLB in the game. Of course there are going to be things Matthews does that Perry will not. But secondly, Perry will simply have a different playing style than Matthews. Perry is going to be that extra DE on the field that we can move around. I'm excited to see him rush out of the psycho package - Raji on the line with Perry and Matthews hanging out behind him, ready to pick a lane and attack it. I also can see Perry making corner blitzes much more effective, with the tackle and back both keeping eyes on him.

Point being, Perry is going to be more of a Cullen Jenkins replacement than a second Matthews in terms of what he means for the defense. That extra threat, every down, will free up and allow room for creativity in the use of Matthews, Woodson and the other blitzers.

And on top of that, I expect big things out of Perry as a run defender. Walden is an absolutely terrible run defender, and Perry should be a big upgrade.

We should still grab another DE for the rotation, and maybe another linebacker with pass coverage skills for the nickle and dime sub-packages. Unless Francois could handle that this year?

Posted: April 27, 2012, 2:48 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Lots of chatter this morning about a Packers/Browns trade involving Colt McCoy....

YES PLEASE!! Being about an hour from Austin, Colt is beloved down here. And I obviously got to see lots of UT games when he was QB. He's just one of those guys that's a natural leader. Best part is that he's got talent, and he's still young. Get him in McCarthy's system and I think he'll shine big time! Of course as a backup, but if we need him, we have to have a solid player in that position. Harrell has a strong arm and all, but I just don't know how much of a leader he is like Colt is.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 2:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
Wow.... Seeing what they did with the Vikes and now rumors of this... I vote we trade with Cleveland every chance we get! [wink]

Posted: April 27, 2012, 3:46 PM Post
Is the McCoy rumor written down somewhere, or is it just talk radio speculation?

(Not that there's all that much of a difference between the two....but radio isn't as easy to link to / skim.)

Considering I would be willing to draft Wilson starting in the 4th round, I'd support the Packers giving any Day 3 picks to Cleveland for McCoy - a QB that I still like quite a bit (not a franchise QB guy, but a capable backup / 'game manager' starter if he's coached that way).

Completely pointless sidenote: For (what I assume are) some of the first Nike-branded NFL apparel under the new contract, I'm amazed at how generic and ugly the hats are for the drafted players.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 3:51 PM Post
http://gnb.scout.com/2/1181537.html#.T5qw1h_Q6vM.twitter

Posted: April 27, 2012, 5:10 PM Post
Luck and Fleener both going to the Colts. What a start to rebuilding.

Posted: April 27, 2012, 6:18 PM Post
ESPN Ticker showing Packers at 51....trade up for Konz?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 116 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply