Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 116 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State, 7a. Andrew Datko, OT, FSU 7b. BJ Coleman, QB, Chattanooga

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State
Posted: April 28, 2012, 4:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
Chris Polk still on the board... that's pretty surprising. He would look great in the 7th...

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State
Posted: April 28, 2012, 4:35 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Lots of rumors circulating that Polk has a degenerative hip.....

Posted: April 28, 2012, 4:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ah... I thought it was strange since I had seen some places put him in the late 1st or 2nd round.

Michael Brewster then?

People scared away from Chase Minnifield due to his name? [wink]

Last edited by CheezWizHed on April 28, 2012, 4:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: April 28, 2012, 4:42 PM Post

GIF Master
Yay! One my Virginia boys finally got picked!

Posted: April 28, 2012, 4:45 PM Post
jazzytrav said:
According to the now seemingly obsolete draft value chart, this latest trade with the Pats was again a fairly significant win for TT.

Pick 163 - 26.2

Pick 190 - 15.4
Pick 224 - 2
Pick 235 - not on the chart due to comp picks...call it 2

26.2 to 19.4. Also of interest is that the 5th round pick that we traded for is the one we originally gave them to move back into the 2nd. So essentially, we got a 2nd for a 3rd, a 6th, and two 7ths, which makes that original trade-up into the 2nd look even better on the value chart.

Correction, that was pick 197, which is worth 12.7 and makes it an even better trade.

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State, 7a. Andrew Datko, OT, FSU 7b. BJ Chapman, QB, Chattanooga
Posted: April 28, 2012, 5:05 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
O-line and QB to finish.

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State, 7a. Andrew Datko, OT, FSU 7b. BJ Chapman, QB, Chattanooga
Posted: April 28, 2012, 5:09 PM Post
The QB pick sounds like good value. Hard to say how he will turn out in the back-up role though.

Posted: April 28, 2012, 5:09 PM Post
B.J. Coleman sounds like the exact type of project QB we were expecting them to target. Decent arm strength and flashes of accuracy. Needs to be coached up. Athletic and a leader.

And Datko sounds like a good seventh round flyer as well. Missed most of last season with a shoulder injury, but before that was considered to have a chance to be a day one pick with a good senior season. Boom or bust.

Posted: April 29, 2012, 7:19 PM Post
Fyi- thread title says BJ Chapman instead of BJ Coleman.

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State, 7a. Andrew Datko, OT, FSU 7b. BJ Coleman, QB, Chattanooga
Posted: April 30, 2012, 10:26 AM Post
Interesting. McGinn didn't exactly give a glowing review of the Packers' draft. He makes the first two guys sound pretty risky, actually.

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: 4a. Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa, 4b. Jerron McMillian, S, Maine, 5. Terrell Manning, LB, NC State, 7a. Andrew Datko, OT, FSU 7b. BJ Coleman, QB, Chattanooga
Posted: April 30, 2012, 10:29 AM Post
The only risk I see, and it is a big one, is motor. If our coaches cannot get these guys to play hard, they will not live up to the hype.

Hopefully that whole D has a chip after last years embarrassment. That should help the Rookies keep focus too.

Re: The 2012 NFL Draft Thread- 2nd Round:Jerel Worthy, DT, MSU, 2B: Casey Hayward, DB, Vanderbilt
Posted: April 30, 2012, 11:34 AM Post

LambeauLeap Jedi
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:
In his presser, Ted just said they felt McMillan fell through the cracks because he played at Maine instead of a big program.

As soon as I saw this pick, I couldn't help but be reminded of my confusion when the Packers took a safety from Bethune-Cookman in the 2d round in 2005.

I realize that's an unfair & arbitrary comparison, but that's where my brain went.

Posted: April 30, 2012, 1:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
Or a 2nd round pick in 1997 out of William and Mary.

Yeah, my mind went there too. In fact, I predicted (somewhere) that TT would pick a safety out of some small program. Maine might be bigger than I expected...

Posted: May 01, 2012, 10:32 AM Post
I'm very excited about Perry, Worthy, and Hayward. They should contribute greatly this year and Hayward's performance can go a long way towards filling Collins' absence by way of moving Woodson off CB. Daniels looks solid if not limited. His lack of height could very well prove to be an advantage in situational pass rush. McMillian seems like a shot in the dark and probably a few years away from contributing in base. Manning looks pretty exciting as an ILB but his impact will also be felt more later. I don't expect either of Datko or Coleman to make the team outright this year.

Upon reflection, this was the anti-TT draft. After witnessing a hopeless defense perform historically awful last year, the Packers clearly and rightfully drafted for need. When your entire philosophy is built on draft-and-develop, you really have no other option.

There is a risk when going with players like Perry and Worthy who have typically coasted while being "the guy" in college, Perry more so than Worthy. The organization is banking on its coaches to do a better job bringing out the talent, which is clearly there, than their college coaches. But if you think the risk of failure is high, ask yourself, can you see anyone laying down for Kevin Greene? There's also the risk with Perry not panning out as an OLB, but his measurables and athletic ability say otherwise.

Posted: May 01, 2012, 11:10 AM Post
Global Moderator
While, it was obviously a need-draft, I really didn't see TT having reached for anyone. McMillian perhaps, but given TT's history and the fact that it came in the 5th round, I don't see anyone complaining about the pick either.

In fact, Worthy in the second round was a steal, IMO. Perry is a boom-or-bust candidate, but TT has taken that chance in the past also.

The only real surprises to me were how often TT traded up (especially since he didn't in the 1st).

Posted: January 28, 2015, 12:10 PM Post
The general rule of thumb is to wait three years before evaluating the success of a draft. I did the same thing last year for the 2011 draft. Hard to believe that Cobb & House are the only ones left from that draft class (and are both must-sign free agents, in my opinion). Maybe it's not hard to believe when you consider that draft was a pretty terrible one for Ted Thompson overall.

To recap, here was the 2012 draft for Green Bay:

R1 (28) - DE/OLB Nick Perry
R2 (51) - DE/DT Jerel Worthy
R2 (62) - CB Casey Hayward
R4 (132) - DT Mike Daniels
R4 (133) - S Jerron McMillian
R5 (163) - MLB Terrell Manning
R7 (241) - OT Andrew Datko
R7 (243) - QB BJ Coleman

Great Pick - Even if you don't consider the fact that he was drafted in the 4th round, Mike Daniels is probably the best out of this bunch. Hayward looked destined for stardom after his rookie year, but basically missed all of the 2013 season with that hamstring and didn't make much of an impact in 2014. He'll likely be ticketed for a bigger role assuming that at least one of Tramon Williams and Davon House don't return for 2015.

Up & Down Picks - I'd put Hayward in this group for reasons already mentioned, and throw Nick Perry here as well. He hasn't had the impact you'd expect from a 1st rounder, but has flashed on occasion. Problem is, he can't be counted on much because he seems to be hurt for one reason or another.

Total Busts - Basically everyone else. Worthy hurt his ACL his rookie year, and he's on a futures/reserve contract with Kansas City after being such a force at Michigan State. I think we were all pretty pumped when Ted traded up to get him. Thankfully, Ted always seems to double-down when he has a position in need, and Mike Daniels has been everything we hoped Worthy would be. Datko was an elite prospect before hurting his shoulder in college, so that pick was a gamble from the beginning. I think McMillian was the first one kicked to the curb in 2013 (just one year removed from being drafted) as his game never translated to the NFL from his college years spent at Maine. There was some hope for Manning, but came down with some weird illness in training camp that made him drop like 20 pounds in weight, and he's just bounced all over the league, mainly on practice squads. And BJ Coleman never really showed anything in preseason to justify trying to develop him further.

After looking back at the 2011 (Cobb & House) & 2012 (Daniels, Hayward, Perry) drafts, and having just 5 players remain, I think it's safe to say those may be the two worst drafts Thompson has orchestrated. Thankfully, the 2013 (D. Jones, Lacy, Bakhtiari, Tretter, Hyde, Boyd, Barrington) and 2014 (Clinton-Dix, Adams, Rich-Rodgers, Linsley) have produced some much needed starters & depth. Heck, 2014 alone has 4 guys that are already basically starters, and may have some unkown gems in Abbrederis & Janis.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 116 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply