Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 238 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2011 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: Davon House, DB, New Mexico State/DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas/Caleb Schlauderaff, G, Utah/DJ Smith, LB, Appalachian State/Ricky Elmore, LB, Arizona/Ryan Taylor, TE, North Carolina/Lawrence Guy, DT, Arizona State

The 2011 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: Davon House, DB, New Mexico State/DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas/Caleb Schlauderaff, G, Utah/DJ Smith, LB, Appalachian State/Ricky Elmore, LB, Arizona/Ryan Taylor, TE, North Carolina/Lawrence Guy, DT, Arizona State
Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:19 PM Post
GodspeedYouPackEmperor said:
craigharmann said:
Who will the pick be?

My sources are telling me it's going to be Precious Amukamara.  She's got great value here at the end of the 3rd round. 
But she's got some off the field stuff that is making many GMs leery.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:20 PM Post

GIF Master
Don't know Green, but his name fits.

Watching NFLN, Mayock loves him. Says he a great downhill runner and an excellent receiver. Sounds like Jackson's days in GB might be numbered (my speculation).

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:21 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Green has the size, strength, quickness, explosiveness, speed and athleticism to be a good NFL starter but didn't get the ball enough in college for personnel men to feel good about him being a durable long-term solution. He looked great on film but was unimpressive at the East-West Shrine practices, which is a concern. He is sure to shine at the NFL Scouting Combine and in other pre-draft workout, but GMs should be a bit wary because he hasn't proved a lot on the field. That said, he has the potential to develop into an Arian Foster-type back.

http://aol.sportingnews.c...ile-hawaii-rb-alex-green

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:22 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
McShay says if he doesn't start, he'll contribute on 3rd down and as a returner.... doesn't sound good for Brandon Jackson's return.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:23 PM Post
Ugh. Don't like this one. Jackson's out obviously. Not that I don't think he can be good. I just think they have other needs.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:24 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
I just think they have other needs.

The Packers rarely seem to factor need into the equation much, especially in the middle/late rounds.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:25 PM Post
The one thing I will say--Green is fresh. So many runners have got so many miles on them coming out of college, but Green could surprise because of his low mileage. In TT I trust, so go Green!

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:26 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
I just think they have other needs.

The Packers rarely seem to factor need into the equation much, especially in the middle/late rounds.
True that, and I agree with the approach.  I'm just dying for big bodies--that's my drafting modus operandi.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:30 PM Post
Well, 2 days in and no defensive picks. I think the lack of a DE or LB taken so far says a lot about how the Packers feel about Neal/Wilson & Walden/Zombo/Jones. Maybe Cullen Jenkins will receive an enhanced offer from the Packes (whenever that will be allowed).

The Alex Jones pick certainly seems to spell the end of Brandon Jackson. Couple that with the presence of James Starks and I think we're looking at the last year of Ryan Grant in Green Bay next year. He'll be a Free Agent in 2012 and there really isn't any sense in a team re-upping with an average back who'll be in his 30s for the majority of his next contract.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:36 PM Post
The highlight package that ESPN had on Alex Green was almost completely worthless - Green had 5 foot holes to run through and wasn't getting touched until 10 yards down the field.  Looks like a big, stout guy who can break some tackles though.  If he can catch the ball, then I'm intrigued.

If they were dead set on taking a RB, I'm curious why they pass on guys like Delone Carter, Kendall Hunter, and Jacquizz Rodgers.  I'll trust Ted Thompson though, but it seems like a bit of an unnecessary reach.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the need of taking Green at this spot.  I feel as though they could have addressed this RB position later in the draft or in free agency.  They must really love this guy.  My hope is that he is a good pass blocker and catch the ball well out of the backfield.  Strange pick.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:48 PM Post

GIF Master
I have a feeling it is his pass catching ability that they really like. He's supposed to be really good in that aspect of the game. Mayock on NFLN did say that he had ridiculous holes to run through because of the spread offense, so there is a question of how he'll do in a standard NFL offense, but he loves him.

I really never question TT anymore. He knows who's good.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 1:52 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
If he can catch the ball, then I'm intrigued.

NFL.com scouting report:

He excels in the passing game, as he shows the ability to consistently get open, catches the ball away from his body and turns upfield without any wasted motion.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 2:06 PM Post
Sounds like an excellent third down back with the potential to start. Can't knock that kind of pick at the end of the third round.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 2:06 PM Post
So, who do you guys have as some Day 3 targets?

Here are some of mine:
QB - Greg McElroy, Adam Froman, Ricky Stanzi
WR - (although it's probably unnecessary at this point but I sort of like these guys) - Greg Salas, Denarius Moore, Ronald Johnson
TE - (for some reason I have a bad feeling that Jermichael Finley won't re-sign) Virgil Green, Jordan Cameron, Collin Franklin, Will Yeatman
OL - Mike Person, Clint Boling, David Arkin, Tim Barnes, Ryan Bartholomew
DL - Christian Ballard, Chris Neild, Lawrence Guy, Brandon Blair
LB - Sam Acho, Quan Sturdivant, Chris Carter, Adrian Moten, Ugo Chinasa
CB - Davon House

Posted: April 29, 2011, 2:13 PM Post
Interesting that there's a Cameron Jordan (DE) and a Jordan Cameron (TE) in this draft. I want to see them both on the Saints.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 2:28 PM Post
Acho would be a nice pick tomorrow...might have to go up and get him, though.

I'm not sure how I feel about Green. He's a big guy that sounds like he's overall really good in the passing game (receiving and blocking), but I've also read about fumbling issues. If he's seen as a 3rd down guy, I'm fine with that, but we probably could have gotten him in the 4th.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: April 29, 2011, 2:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't know anything about Green (like most of these...), so I generally don't comment about and individual.

But I was one pimping RB as a minor need (more then DE IMO). Grant just had a pretty big injury, Starks (while looking good so far) is mainly unproven. And as others mentioned, Grant only has one more year under contract.

But no matter... I think they should give Green #30. Wouldn't that look nice. Image

Posted: April 29, 2011, 2:50 PM Post
GodspeedYouPackEmperor said:
Well, 2 days in and no defensive picks. I think the lack of a DE or LB taken so far says a lot about how the Packers feel about Neal/Wilson & Walden/Zombo/Jones. ]
Isn't it that way every year? TT takes BPA regardless of position (most times anyway). Last year everyone was screaming for a corner and TT didn't pick one. Year before that everyone wanted an Tackle and TT didn't take one. This year a lot of people want an OLB. I bet he doesn't take one.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 2:51 PM Post
homer said:
Does anyone remember what people said about Clifton when he was drafted? As I recall it was a lot of "solid pick" type stuff. If Sherrod has a career like Clifton I'd be more than happy.

Just saw this so I thought I'd look some stuff up. 

Clifton pretty much got murdered by the scouts per the J-S coverage from the day after he was selected:
"He's a third/fourth-rounder.  He's alright."  "The guy works out really well.  He doesn't play particularly strong and he's not particularly tough.  He doesn't play like he works out."  "He's got a lot to show me he can play.  Lacks ability."  "He's an athlete who doesn't play to his numbers.  He's big.  He's tough."  "He's alright.  He's not terrible."
He's also listed as a Guard and has his college position coach quoted as saying he'd probably succeed better being in the interior.  Ouch.

Posted: April 29, 2011, 3:08 PM Post
From NFL.com ...... Green does not project to be an every-down back at the next level, but he is a weapon in the passing game and could contribute on third down. He has prototypical size, but he runs a bit upright and will not consistently break tackles in the NFL. He also has a case of fumble-itis. He excels in the passing game, as he shows the ability to consistently get open, catches the ball away from his body and turns upfield without any wasted motion. Green will likely be a late round pick due to his ability as a receiver.

3rd round? I don't know who writes these things, but this makes it seem like a giant leap. I won't criticize, but somebody talk me off the ledge.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 238 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply