Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next  [ 238 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2011 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: Davon House, DB, New Mexico State/DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas/Caleb Schlauderaff, G, Utah/DJ Smith, LB, Appalachian State/Ricky Elmore, LB, Arizona/Ryan Taylor, TE, North Carolina/Lawrence Guy, DT, Arizona State

The 2011 NFL Draft Thread- Day 3: Davon House, DB, New Mexico State/DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas/Caleb Schlauderaff, G, Utah/DJ Smith, LB, Appalachian State/Ricky Elmore, LB, Arizona/Ryan Taylor, TE, North Carolina/Lawrence Guy, DT, Arizona State

Posted: April 27, 2011, 10:44 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Panthers are down to 4 players, apparently (Newton, Green, Dareus, or Peterson):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6438623

I like the uncertainty, personally.  Much more interesting when they start this thing up rather than the other 9 of 10 times when we already know who the pick is.

Posted: April 27, 2011, 12:26 PM Post
I don't see any way Green is the pick. Dareus is probably a long shot. I think if a position like WR or DT is taken first, it has to be someone that is far and away the best in his class. Keyshawn was worthy of being #1...and Calvin Johnson could have gone #1 and I don't think there would have been much questioning of it. I don't think Green is special enough of a player to deserve that kind of comparison. Same with DT...Suh is the kind of guy that you can almost be sure will come in and be an immediate force. I don't think Dareus has that.

I don't think Newton deserves it, but he's a QB, so that will always come into the equation. Peterson, contrary to the other guys named, is a complete stud. That's the guy that comes in and changes everything about your defense because he can be that good. I really think they should push out conventional wisdom and strongly consider the impact that Peterson could have.

Will you have this left guard to be the 224th pick?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: April 28, 2011, 9:48 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
I too don't think Newton deserves it, but it seems likely he's the pick. I'll also predict him to be a horrific bust. 50 passes in his career inside the pocket, coming from a zone read offense (that makes the spread look considerably more pro-style by comparison) suggests an absolute disaster for the Panthers in a few years.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 10:44 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Are the Mike Singletary glasses circa-1985 back in style or something? Von Miller and Nick Fairley are wearing them tonight.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 10:45 AM Post
The only chance he has is if they think he can eventually pick up the offense, and if they're willing to sit him for a few years. With the trainwreck of a team they have already, I can't see why they're willing to put up that kind of money on a guy that should sit for at least half his contract. I really think Peterson is the only guy in this draft deserving of a #1 pick.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: April 28, 2011, 10:47 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Are the Mike Singletary glasses circa-1985 back in style or something? Von Miller and Nick Fairley are wearing them tonight.
Looks like it.  It actually doesn't look too bad.  Horace Grant goggles have to be next.

In other news, I just figured out why negotiations aren't going anywhere between the league/owners and players.  Roger Goodell is an awkward mess when he's in the spotlight.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: April 28, 2011, 10:52 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
I like that they're inviting considerably more players to the draft now that it's in primetime, but still.... Rahim Moore? He's going to have an uncomfortable night (or two) back in that green room.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 10:52 AM Post
First time in recent memory where the first overall pick wasn't basically set in stone at this point.  Latest rumor is that the Broncos have a "90% chance" of taking Von Miller.  If they were still going to play in a 3-4 to pair him up with Elvis, then sure.  But they're moving back to a 4-3 so this doesn't make as much sense.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 10:57 AM Post
Miller could play in either system. He'll be good in a 4-3, but he would dominate in a 3-4.

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: April 28, 2011, 10:59 AM Post
That could have a ripple effect, though. Maybe Buffalo decides to go Gabbert/Newton or Green if Miller isn't there?

~ReverendBrewmeister

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:03 AM Post
Appears that Newton is #1.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:26 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
I too don't think Newton deserves it, but it seems likely he's the pick. I'll also predict him to be a horrific bust. 50 passes in his career inside the pocket, coming from a zone read offense (that makes the spread look considerably more pro-style by comparison) suggests an absolute disaster for the Panthers in a few years.

Agreed.  If they were in the same draft, I see Jamarcus Russell AND Alex Smith (just to name two reasonable recent comparisons - there are more) both taken ahead of him.  Why is Newton going to be any more successful?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but for me the draft really loses something in prime time.  It's just another weeknight to me, nothing all that special, no buildup for me.  I understand the change, that it gets great ratings, etc.  It's just not for me.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:37 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Great move by Holmgren to gobble up picks here for the rebuilding effort, pending the return for Atlanta's crazy trade up.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:40 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Is it me or did that seem like a terrible move for Atlanta?

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:44 AM Post
Yeah, that sort of seems a little nuts to move up like that.  What did they give up?  Their 1st, 2nd, and 4th this year, and something like their 1st next year?  Wow...

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:46 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Locker over Gabbert?

SF taking a mid-round DL with all of the QB's on the board?

Atlanta trading up 21 spots?

Since the draft went to primetime last year, it'd been super crazy/exciting...

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:51 AM Post
Glad Locker went to the AFC and not Minnesota like some had said. I think Locker is a lot better than many think, and I was scared of Minnesota getting him. Now hopefully Gabbert goes before Minnesota too.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 11:57 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Gabbert to Minnesota seems very likely, barring a very possible trade-up to leapfrog them.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 12:10 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Congrats to JJ! Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Posted: April 28, 2011, 12:17 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Holy crap, the Vikings are out of their freaking minds.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next  [ 238 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply