[ 3 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packers to sign Jared Cook

Packers to sign Jared Cook

Posted: March 28, 2016, 7:14 AM Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-packers/

good signing, hopefully this means that the packers can focus on DT and LB early in the draft instead of TE.

Re: Packers to sign Jared Cook

Posted: March 28, 2016, 7:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
One year deal for decent money. Most likely worth it. Hopefully it clicks this year for him. And OT, LB, and DT the list of needs, but if a TE ends up the BPA, I have no issue picking him.

Re: Packers to sign Jared Cook

Posted: March 29, 2016, 11:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
Digging a little more into Cook's stats is interesting...

When he was signed, someone wrote that he was the TE equivalent to Dante Jones(sorry, lost the link). A highly talented player that isn't performing well. But I'm not buying that is true. Perhaps he has isn't playing to his talent level, but he is performing as a mid-level starting TE. (Where as Adams played like a #3/4 WR at best last year)

I took a look at his career stats. The first two years were "ramp up" years for him, so those years are excluded. I also excluded last year (and will discuss that later). So from 2011-2014, Cook averaged:
    Catches: 49 (58% of targets)
    Yards: 647
    Yards/Catch: 13.2
    Long: 62 yards
    YAC: 5.4 yds
    TD: 3.8

Compared to last year, that would be in the #12-15 range for TEs in the NFL. His main drawback is his efficiency on catches (58%). The top TEs are typically in the low 60-70+%. Gronk was at 60%; Jordan Reed was 76%. 58% is comparable to Ladarius Green, Owen Daniels and Julius Thomas. So those four TEs then Jordan Cameron at #30 with 50%.

Last year, Cook dropped off in terms of yards and catches: 39 catches (52%) for 481 yards and 0 TD. But interestingly enough, his Yards/Catch (12.3) and YAC (5.5) were pretty much in-line with his career numbers. So I tend to believe that the QB carousel in St. Louis was the bigger problem last year and not his own drop-off. Note that with Bradford in St. Louis the year before, he was pretty much with his career norms.

So while, Cook overall doesn't have the best hands, I think he will pair well with Rodgers this year and be productive. And with a one year deal, he should be sufficiently motivated to bounce back.

[ 3 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply