[ 16 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2016 Packer Free Agents

2016 Packer Free Agents

Posted: January 06, 2016, 12:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
This thread is intended to talk about Packer FA or other teams FA that we dream about signing, but realize TT will never do it...

Re-signed by Packers:
OT Don Barclay - I'm guessing probably not. Ok as a back up RT, but not much else. Update: Resigned for 1 year, $700k
K Mason Crosby- Dude looks old with his premature gray hair (my wife even mentioned it last week), but is only 31. I'd say to resign him. Update:Re-signed for $16M over 4 years.
DT Letroy Guion- Been more behind the scenes with Raji back. Certainly resign if Raji doesn't. Maybe if Raji does. Update: Re-signed by Packers for 3 years, $11.25M
OLB Nick Perry- Not as productive as Neal and more injury prone. But valuable non-the-less. Resign. Update: resigned 1 year for $5M
RB James Starks - On the older side for an RB, but still seems pretty fresh. Update: Resigned 2 years, $6M with a $1.5M signing bonus

Still Available:
LS Brett Goode - Mr. Automatic. Resign him.
WR James Jones - Doubtful.
FB John Kuhn - Vet minimum at the most. I'm sure no one else values him like the Pack.
OLB Mike Neal - Will be a major OLB target this year unless the PEDs scandal knocks him down.
TE Andrew Quarless - Probably worth a small FA contract. Rodgers is good, but not much else. Qualess is a steady role player at TE.
NT B.J. Raji - Might be in competition for his services this year. Looked much better at NT than DE. - Update: Retired
S Sean Richardson - Probably won't play again with his neck injury.

Signed Elsewhere
CB Casey Hayward - Could be let go. Lost starting spot, but plays a decent slot CB. Update: Signed with San Diego, 3 years $15.3M: $6.8M guaranteed, $2.5M signing bonus
QB Scott Tolzien - Probably not much more than a vet minimum. Hundley has less experience, but more upside. Update: Signed by Colts for 2 years, $3.5M with $500k guaranteed.

Last edited by CheezWizHed on March 10, 2016, 9:30 PM, edited 5 times in total.

Re: 2016 Free Agents

Posted: January 06, 2016, 12:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Restricted FAs:
OLB Andy Mulumba - Might be better just to move on, as he isn't progressing. Give another UDFA a shot instead. Update: Released and picked up by the Kansas City Chiefs.

G Lane Taylor - Minimum offer without a draft pick compensation. Ok backup, but not worth protecting if someone really, really wants him. Update: Re-signed by Packers, 2 year, $4.15M with a $500k signing bonus.

Exclusive-Rights Free Agents:
S Chris Banjo- Yes, no reason to get rid of a solid ST player and backup S Update: Tender offered and signed
TE Justin Perillo- Yes. Might develop further. If not, cut in training camp. Update: Tender offered and signed

Last edited by CheezWizHed on March 10, 2016, 9:33 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: January 07, 2016, 8:53 PM Post
I think the packers might be pretty high on taylor. I know sitton had some good things to say about him. None of them are auto locks to be resigned, but lots of solid role players at least. Crosbys probably the one im most confident will be resigned and most shocked if not, but everyone else i wouldnt be that surprised if they are let go. Especially after last year when they let both Williams and house go.

NFL Blitz has better referees.

Posted: January 08, 2016, 7:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm beginning to worry about Shield's return from this concussion. That might drive the Packers to resign Hayward. I'd hope we sign one of Raji/Guion and Neal/Perry, but I doubt we resign both.

Posted: January 09, 2016, 10:20 AM Post
Hard to believe that Quarless is only 27. Seems like he's been here forever (I think he was 20 when drafted). As much as I agree that he isn't an elite talent, the talent coming out at TE isn't any better. The spread/up-tempo offenses are killing the position. A guy like JerMichael Finley now wouldn't make it past pick #20, much less into the 3rd round. That's why teams are looking at basketball players - there just aren't athletes at TE anymore.

Perry's health will really hurt his chances of being resigned. The alternate is, the Packers will save $8M by cutting Peppers - for $8M I think they can get both Neal and Perry. And there isn't much talent in terms of pass-rushing OLBs coming out.

I don't think Guion has many options considering his past and risk. I'm sure one of Raji/Guion will be back.

Starks is a great change-of-pace for Lacy. It's boom or bust (Lacy out of shape, Starks hurt) there though, and there's some talent coming out at RB.

Barclay I think will be brought back, but will have competition in camp. You can bet that GB will invest in OT in the draft. They need a quality backup at the minimum.

Posted: January 15, 2016, 4:13 PM Post
Goode's knee injury and the performance of Rick Lovato probably spells the end for him. At 31 he was likely almost done anyway, Lovato is 8 years younger.

That said, if Lovato botches a snap this weekend I will retract this statement.

Posted: January 15, 2016, 4:15 PM Post
Looking at that list, it will be interesting to see who actually gets offered any kind of money this off-season. Crosby will be looking to get paid, Hayward, Neal and maybe Raji. Everyone else is a veteran's minimum type in my opinion.

Posted: January 27, 2016, 12:26 PM Post
TheNextSTCoach said:
Goode's knee injury and the performance of Rick Lovato probably spells the end for him. At 31 he was likely almost done anyway, Lovato is 8 years younger.

That said, if Lovato botches a snap this weekend I will retract this statement.

It'll be interesting to see how he comes back from the ACL injury, but it probably affects him less than other playes. While moving on to a younger player is always attractive, the guy has been a model of consistency during his time here. Off the top of my head I can't recall him ever botching a snap.

Posted: January 28, 2016, 8:24 PM Post
Part of being the long snapper is covering punts. Relatively old and a bad wheel is a liability on punt coverage. If the difference between snap quality and consistency is minimal, you go with the better punt coverage guy.

Re: 2016 Packer Free Agents

Posted: February 12, 2016, 4:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Guion re-signedwith the team for 3 years $11.25M.

I still think they should re-sign Raji. Both are in their prime. Then that removes the D-line from any needs this year.

Posted: February 14, 2016, 9:23 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Guion re-signedwith the team for 3 years $11.25M.

I still think they should re-sign Raji. Both are in their prime. Then that removes the D-line from any needs this year.

I'm with you. The defense improved markedly as the year wore on. Raji in the middle, flanked by Guion and Mike Daniels, is a combination I find good with the chance of becoming very good.

Posted: March 02, 2016, 8:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
4 years and $16M for Crosby. Seems like a fair deal. I think that coming through that rough patch a couple years back made him a much better kicker. He was very impressive last year. He'll be in his mid-30s by the time this contract is done, so you can go year by year if he is still performing or simply replace him.

Posted: March 14, 2016, 12:17 PM Post
Its been reported that raji will retire. I have not heard a reason.

NFL Blitz has better referees.

Posted: March 14, 2016, 2:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
I just saw that also. I'm really surprised at that. Maybe a bit of exiting before injuries build up??

Posted: March 18, 2016, 12:51 PM Post
James Starks signs a new two-year contract. Looks like the backup RB spot might be pinned down for next year.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/372552561.html

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2016-news-reports/2016/3/18/11260504/packers-free-agency-2016-james-starks-re-signs-agrees-to-terms-report

Posted: May 17, 2016, 12:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm shocked that Jones, Neal and Quarless are still out there.

Neal and Q come with some baggage, but not significant. If Q came back, he would easily be our best TE blocker.

Jones is a little less surprising when you see all the WRs available right now. Better players are out there. The bigger surprise is why so many.

[ 16 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply