[ 5 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Congrats to Aaron and Ron Wolf

Congrats to Aaron and Ron Wolf

Posted: February 01, 2015, 10:58 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Board Administrator
Despite the general disinterest I have in this particular Super Bowl Sunday for obvious reasons, it was nice to get some good Packer news on Saturday night.

Congrats to Aaron for winning his second MVP award. Not a surprising win, but somewhat surprising at least to me that there was such a huge distance between Aaron and 2nd place, JJ Watt, who many thought would give him a run for his money in the voting.

Also, congrats to Ron Wolf for being elected as the 23rd Packer in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Can't think of a person, save maybe for Bob Harlan, who Packer fans owe as much to as Wolf for the great run that we've had for the past 20+ years. A franchise that had a handful of winning seasons in the 20 plus years before Wolf took over and turned the franchise around and only having a handful of losing seasons since.

Plus, Wolf's enshrinement eliminates the debate that I remember from either here or Brewerfan about having Wolf's name on the facade at Lambeau despite not being in the HOF.

Re: Congrats to Aaron and Ron Wolf

Posted: February 02, 2015, 1:36 PM Post
Nothing against Wolf but I don't think he is hall of fame worthy. He won one Superbowl as GM. I can't imagine a baseball GM getting into the HOF from winning one World Series. If Melvin wins one with Milwaukee he would have done far more than Wolf did. Does anyone think that would get him in Cooperstown?
As far as Rodgers winning the MVP by such a large margin it really should be called the best QB/RB award.
I'm happy for both of them but not really sold on either of them as totally deserving. Though Rodgers has more of an argument for deserving it than Wolf. Mostly with Rodgers it is the margin of victory more than the victory itself.

The artist formerly known as BUC.

Posted: February 02, 2015, 2:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think comparing Wolf and Melvin greatly marginalizes Wolf's contribution to the Pack:
1 SuperBowl Win
Back-to-Back SB appearances
Several NFC championship appearances
Brett Favre trade
Reggie White signing
Mike Holmgren and the massive coaching tree that he triggered (not 100% props to Wolf here, but some consideration)
Many NFC Central titles.
In the playoffs most years.

If Melvin won the WS this year, he would have accomplished about 1/10th that of Wolf.

Posted: February 02, 2015, 5:51 PM Post
If the Brewers would manage to win a WS in Melvin's tenure here his resume' would be
1 World Series win.
Division champions on multiple teams (something Wolf never did)
NLCS and ALCS appearances
Zach Greinke and CC Sabathia trades.
Best record in team history. (something Wolf did not do)
Drafting league MVP and then signing him to a long term contract.
And he did it with one hand tied behind his back as the smallest market team in a league that doesn't share it's revenue or cap player's salaries.
Melvin is one championship away for matching Wolf while doing so in much tougher circumstances.
It was not meant to be a criticism of Wolf. It was meant to be a criticism of the watered down football hall of fame. I just feel like baseball has it right when it comes to hall of fame standards. Melvin is one championship away from having accomplished everything Wolf did and more, yet Melvin is nowhere near Cooperstown even if he wins one here.

Edit- I overstated the idea that Melvin would have far outdone Wolf. I think it would be more impressive under the circumstances but admit it's an overstatement to say far out done.

The artist formerly known as BUC.

Posted: February 10, 2015, 2:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
Best record in team history. (something Wolf did not do)

Wow...that was a major marketing campaign fluff. You can't knock Wolf because the Packers had previous success (decades earlier) and the Brewers had a mini-peak in 1982.

I'll grant you that I'm only viewing DM through Brewer accomplishments. I don't really know what he did elsewhere.

But DM brought the Brewers to an "average" team that looks to make the playoffs each year. Wolf brought the Packers to making the playoffs each year with a chance to make the SB nearly every year.

Wolf also breathed life back into the smallest professional sports market in the world. Remember when they played in Milwaukee to "step into" a bigger market? Yes, they had a salary cap (at least late in Wolf's tenure), but playing in a city of 100,000 instead of 1M is a pretty big issue no matter what the salary cap. Wolf brought GB back to relevance. Reggie White's signing and Favre trade were bigger than anything I've seen DM do in Milwaukee.

And there is the small fact that DM hasn't gotten us to the WS, let alone win one. Close. And my hat is off for what he did, but Wolf did deserve a HOF nod. DM isn't that close to getting the same.

[ 5 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply