[ 4 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

RIP Fuzzy Thurston

RIP Fuzzy Thurston

Posted: December 17, 2014, 10:39 PM Post
Didn't see it mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but RIP Fuzzy Thurston, who passed away in Green Bay a couple days ago. His playing days were well before my time, so I probably can't fully appreciate his place in Packer lore, but I enjoyed a superficial connection with him being an alumnus of Valparaiso University. He's one of only two NFL players to ever come out of our tiny ol' Valpo, as far as I know, and clearly the most distinguished. He also hails from Altoona WI, outside Chippewa Falls, an area of the state to which I've travelled countless times to visit family.

So, the man has a special place in my heart beyond just his heralded NFL/Packers career and his enshrinement in the Packers Hall of Fame. RIP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/sports/football/fuzzy-thurston-an-ex-packer-dies-at-80-was-a-big-broom-in-the-great-sweep-play.html

Incredible tidbit from the article:
"[Thurston] graduated from Altoona High School, where there was no football team, and went to Valparaiso University in Indiana on a basketball scholarship. He did not play football until his junior year."

Re: RIP Fuzzy Thurston

Posted: December 18, 2014, 6:45 AM Post
We're losing the great ones faster now. These next five to ten years are going to be gut wrenching. Let's embrace them while we still have a chance.

"Think of only three things: your God, your family and the Green Bay Packers-in that order."-Vince Lombardi

Sign the petition! Help get #64 Jerry Kramer into the Pro Football Hall of Fame! link.
Alicia Kramer-run Facebook page for her Dad.

Posted: December 18, 2014, 12:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
I have to admit that I don't know these legends well either. Starr and Gregg I knew more as coaches and never as players.

I do have a great deal of respect for Bart Starr as a man, however. Hopefully, he can recover from his stroke.

RIP Fuzzy

Posted: December 20, 2014, 4:25 PM Post
Was anyone else at the Jim Rome live show at the Dane County coliseum ~15 years ago? Of all of the guests that day, Fuzzy got the biggest pop. Just goes to show, when you appreciate your opportunity and embrace the fans and the community, you turn into a legend. And legends never die.

RIP Fuzzy

[ 4 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply